Question about this 9x13" Slingerland tom

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm looking at this 70s 9x13" Slingerland tom for sale on reverb. The badge is not centered vertically on the drum. This doesn't necessarily bother me as the drum would be in a iso-booth at church and not real visible.
My question is, as I've never seen the badge placed that way on a Slingerland drum, does this raise any red flags to you Slingy experts out there???

Thanks

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
might have something to do with it being blackchrome

look at the black pearl one
he certainly has a lot (and a lot of Slingld) drums

This blue one doesn't look perfect either

another not centered

think its typical

typical 70s here's another

the fella has the used 70s Slingland market covered

he has a lot to pick from

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typical for '70s Slingerlands to have some sloppy build. Badges can be all over the place on them.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your input guys. I guess it's not that unusual based on the links you provided - just hadn't ever seen it before and wanted to be sure it was the real deal.

Turns out to be a mute point. I play at church and they had a Ludwig CS Accent kit that regardless of what head combination I tried, I just couldn't get a good sound out of the toms. (The acoustics in the sanctuary are challenging). The kit was black as are my Slingerlands so I brought my 12, 13, & cradled 15" in from home to use there, which still left me with 24, 14, 16, 18" kit at home. I stuck with the Ludwig bass drum and carry one of my snares back and forth, so it's a nice sounding kit now. Anyway, I'm now wanting to leave my Slingys at a practice location and practice at home and gig with my Brady kit, but want to have the full Slingy kit left there. So I was looking on line to get 12, 13, 16" black 70s Slingerland toms. The cheapest I could find including shipping and tax left the total at about $1125. Then I saw Musician's Friend had a used 70s Black gloss used Slingerland 70s shell pack - 22, 12, 13, 16" for sale at $899, with shipping and tax the grand total was $995. They looked to be in very nice condition so that made the best sense to me. Getting the BD was a bonus so I can now also replace the BD at church.

Thanks again for helping out a brother in need!!

Kent

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
might have something to do with it being blackchrome

look at the black pearl one
he certainly has a lot (and a lot of Slingld) drums

This blue one doesn't look perfect either

another not centered

think its typical

typical 70s here's another

the fella has the used 70s Slingland market covered

he has a lot to pick from
Thanks Joe, I hate it when people don't pay enough attention to descriptions of items on sale. Duh, today I was one of them - didn't even notice it was black chrome as opposed to the black gloss I need. You might have prevented me from being a very disappointed boy if I had pulled the trigger on it!

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes take your time! This seller has a lot of Slingerland and he's creative within his "Spelling!

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes take your time! This seller has a lot of Slingerland and he's creative within his "Spelling!
Lol. Yes I bookmarked him due to that large selection of Slingerland toms, most of which appear to be in pretty good condition! I might watch to see if a 18" floor ever happens to show up on his list, just to expand the church kit a bit - I love two down!!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
he has to be the collector of all (Slingerland) and His shop should go on the List Of Drum Stores thread... Good looking shop..

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Yes I bookmarked him due to that large selection of Slingerland toms, most of which appear to be in pretty good condition! I might watch to see if a 18" floor ever happens to show up on his list, just to expand the church kit a bit - I love two down!!
Took me 10 years to find an 18” black floor , good luck .

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slingerland often placed the vent hole/badge further down the shell on single headed concert toms. This looks to me like a concert tom that was converted to a double head tom later.
A possibility for sure. A closer inspection for a reworked concert or power tom. When in doubt.......pass.
For the 4 kits I've owned (2-60's and 2-70's), the tom badges were always pretty centered. In the 70's though they sometimes placed the floor tom badges high up. Not as sure about the variations in the rack toms.

Last edited:

Talktotommy

Reaction score
My various Slingerland kits are mostly centered. If anything they’re usually a little more off left to right then up and down. But yes anything larger than a 16 inch floor Tom the badge always seems to be up quite a bit higher not sure the reasoning for this one.
In regards to the tom in question -that would bother me because it’s so far off.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked mine and the Niles badge is dead center , but my 16 and 22 aren't . All double headed and factory original .

I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the shell is round and the edges are kosher .