Question: Bought a used 21inch Sabian AA Dry Ride for $130

MrBacon

Reaction score
I went to my local Guitar Center with the intention of only buying cymbal sleeves and felts and decided to poke my head in the cymbal gallery and look around and decided to grab a random stick off the counter and give a few a whack. Soon after "Hi! Can I help you?" I told the person that I needed a ride cymbal but have no where near the money for a GOOD ride like 300+ and he showed me a few very used ride cymbals in stock. A $42 ZBT ride and a $50 ZXT ride for example then pulled out a vintage Avedis ride that was like $250 and then this 21 Inch Sabian AA Dry Ride for $130. Aside from the scuff marks and fingerprints and stuff, it is near flawless. No chips, dents, keyholeing etc...

So I bought it to tick off the wife, right? Well, I can't find any history on it. Anytime I try and search for AA cymbals, I see mostly the Large AA cymbals and this one is exactly like the one pictured... It is thick, heavy and LOUD!

What decade is the cymbal from? My guess is maybe early 2000's? Also, for it being $130 and in such great shape, was it steal? Compared to say, a newer AAX ride or even like a Custom A medium ride?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: I want to add that I have been researching all types of cymbals like crazy over the past month. Sabians (AAX, HHX, XSR, etc.) Zildjians (S, Custom A, K, etc.) and Meinl (Byzance, Classics both brilliant and dark, HCS, etc.)

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Reaction score
The small blocky type of AA logo and the slightly smaller Sabian logo suggest 1990's, likely early 90's.
Honestly, at $130 in my opinion not a 'steal' but a decent price and if you like it then it works for you.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did the Dry Ride start off as the Larrie Londin signature, by chance? I ask because I picked up a used LL the other month—I'm a fan—and it seemed very close to a brilliant Dry Ride that I played every Sunday and Wednesday for years. Great all-purpose ride sound with little wash or build-up; amazing really.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
$130 sounds about right for the AA Dry. There’s not much of a market for heavy, pingy rides, it seems. That’s good news if you like that sound.

kallen49

Reaction score
Heavy pinky rides are great for certain situations, say, outdoors or any time your ride needs to “cut“ through the collected volume of sound

MrBacon

Reaction score
Yeah, it is definitely loud and pings lol I might take it back and change it out for a medium ride or something. I tend to play more rocky/poppy type this seems more for jazz/funk I am wanting something that can also be crashable without sounding like a gong.

Thanks to everyone who provided insight :)

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
That was my main ride up until 2 years ago or so. I still use it regularly. ThomFloor is correct with his dating. Bought mine new in 94. I assume that they had been out for a little while when I purchased mine, but I'm not sure. I've found it to be pretty versatile for what I've played over the years, but my tastes have changed slightly and I don't mind some wash within my rides. Still, it gets played regularly. From musicians I've talked to you either love em pingy or you don't. Hopefully you find what your looking for!

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had the AA Dry Ride for almost 16 years. My experience is that it's not as pingy as some other pingy type cymbals and I love crashing it.
I bought a Larry Londin Signature ride last year with a host of other things. I like it but sold it. While not an exact sound, I found it close to the AA Dry Ride to the point where I didn't see the need to keep 2 similar spindong rides and preferred the AA Dry Ride.
Sure the LL ride is more "rare", but I don't let rarity, price, brand, alloy or where it is on the student-to-pro level dictate what I keep; I either like the sound of a cymbal or I don't. Period.
(For example, as much as I love my 602 Blue Label ride, I much prefer my 505 ride).
I find the AA Dry Ride is a good universal ride for many applications, except for something like Bebop Jazz. If you're doing Rock, Blues, Country or anything like that, it'll be fine.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
My main ride is a 21" AA Dry Ride, and although I wasn't sure about it at first, it's really grown on me! The more I played it the more I began to learn the cymbal, and how to coax some really sweet sounds out of it. Had it for a couple of years now and definitely plan on keeping it. Not exactly sure how old it is, but my guess is '90s.

Screenshot_2018-06-14-07-41-30-1.png

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is definitely loud and pings lol I might take it back and change it out for a medium ride or something. I tend to play more rocky/poppy type this seems more for jazz/funk I am wanting something that can also be crashable without sounding like a gong.

Thanks to everyone who provided insight :)
So, do you like the cymbal, or not? Seems to me that this cymbal would be darn near perfect for a band playing "rocky/poppy" styles of music.

But, you may not be playing in bands? If that's the case, then I can understand why you would want something in the medium range with a larger wash and moderate ping. It's no secret that what sounds good at home in the practice room is rarely what is needed when you play with a band. At home you can relish the over- and undertones, muted drums, and the like. But all those subtle pleasures go right out the window when the drums are competing with other instruments.

You bought that cymbal at a very fair price. Why not keep it for when you really need it and just look for another bargain in a medium ride? For another $100 or so you can own both.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts