?? Question for a Craviotto Expert ??

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
If you know anything about Craviotto snare drums, thanks for reading my question. I am the proud new owner of a 2004 5.5x13 (really 5 3/8"x13, but who's counting...). I'm not exaggerating when I say this instrument is a work of art. It is one of the nicest pieces of bird's eye maple I've ever seen, and the re-rings are made from the same. I'm going over the whole drum, and sprucing it up in anyway I can.

The screws that fasten the tube lugs to the shells are rusted badly, I will replace them. I know the Allen head size is 9/64", but I don't know the thread. I will figure that out.

Here is my question. I've read that Craviotto counter hoops are merely plain Gibraltar-made 2.3mm triple flange hoops. For this drum, that can't be the case. I measure the hoops to be 2.47-2.53mm... so basically 2.5mm... which are NOT typical Gibraltar hoops. Can anyone provide more insight on the hoops? Brand? What are they made of (steel, brass, etc.)?

Also, does anyone know if Puresound Wires were standard on Craviotto snares back then? This set of wires does look old enough to be from 2004, but I didn't know if the drum originally shipped with them.

Thanks again in advance for any insight. Once I get her all dolled up, I will post some purdy pics.

egw

Reaction score
I measure the hoops to be 2.47-2.53mm... so basically 2.5mm... which are NOT typical Gibraltar hoops. Can anyone provide more insight on the hoops? Brand? What are they made of (steel, brass, etc.)?
As far as I know, triple-flanged hoops other than the thin type (1.6) and the heavy duty type (2.3) are a pretty recent addition to what's available. So if your drum is from the early 2000's, the hoops are probably what was sold as 2.3's and are just a touch heavy. Those things are mass-produced at a big factory in Taiwan, and I don't think a whole lot of precision goes into it.

As far as material goes, find yourself a magnet. If it sticks, they're steel. If it doesn't, they're brass. I suppose there are also aluminum hoops out there too, but in that case the color and the weight are usually a dead giveaway.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
As far as I know, triple-flanged hoops other than the thin type (1.6) and the heavy duty type (2.3) are a pretty recent addition to what's available. So if your drum is from the early 2000's, the hoops are probably what was sold as 2.3's and are just a touch heavy. Those things are mass-produced at a big factory in Taiwan, and I don't think a whole lot of precision goes into it.

As far as material goes, find yourself a magnet. If it sticks, they're steel. If it doesn't, they're brass. I suppose there are also aluminum hoops out there too, but in that case the color and the weight are usually a dead giveaway.
Magnet sticks, so they must be steel. I'm going to polish them up and keep them on the drum. My other Craviotto has the stock hoops, and I think it should stay that way. I am changing the black Trick throw off (no Craviotto logo) to a newer three-step polished aluminum one. I would love to by a new one with the Craviotto logo, but I can't get ahold of anyone at Craviotto. I sent a message to Steve Maxwell to see if he has any available.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could try Trick direct for the throw, but they might not be able to sell you one marked Craviotto. Plus right now, good luck getting any response. You might need to wait a few weeks.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
All of the Craviotto snare drums I've seen use snare wires that are stamped "Craviotto" on them.
Older Craviotto shells, made in conjunction with DW (still signed by Johnny), had Puresound wires.

Here are some drool-worthy pics of the shell. I'm very fortunate.

shell1small.jpg shell2small.jpg innershellsmall.jpg

Reactions: egw

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You could try Trick direct for the throw, but they might not be able to sell you one marked Craviotto. Plus right now, good luck getting any response. You might need to wait a few weeks.
At one time there was a Craviotto employee on DFO, although I can't remember his name. He offered to sell me a chrome Trick throw with the Craviotto logo to replace my black throw when I inquired about it on this forum.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
At one time there was a Craviotto employee on DFO, although I can't remember his name. He offered to sell me a chrome Trick throw with the Craviotto logo to replace my black throw when I inquired about it on this forum.
Already called Trick... no dice, e-mailed Craviotto twice... no response, reached out to Fork's Drum Closet (I was told they own Craviotto), no response.

DaveB

Reaction score
All of the Craviotto snare drums I've seen use snare wires that are stamped "Craviotto" on them.
That's true, some of them did, however, I think it was later on. I haven't got the time to work out when they went to Craviotto named wires. I have 35 Craviotto snares, the earlier ones from memory have [mostly] Puresounds. I have drums from 2004 and 2006 with Puresounds plus earlier drums too.

DaveB

Reaction score
Already called Trick... no dice, e-mailed Craviotto twice... no response, reached out to Fork's Drum Closet (I was told they own Craviotto), no response.
Follow Craviotto on faceache or Insta and message there. David Victor I think does all, or at least most of, their social stuff there. He's a very nice guy, should be able to answer you if not help out.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The DFO member went by the name of drumstar. I'm not sure if he's still active here or not, or whether he made the move to Nashville when Craviotto re-located last summer.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Older Craviotto shells, made in conjunction with DW (still signed by Johnny), had Puresound wires.

Here are some drool-worthy pics of the shell. I'm very fortunate.

View attachment 434405 View attachment 434406 View attachment 434404
I have an older Craviotto BirdsEye snare that didn't come from the factory, but was signed by Johnny. Your shell is gorgeous and has a lot more design than mine (more grain). It didn't have a badge; I was able to add an older Craviotto badge I obtained. [Pics below.]
I see the numbering of '14 of 125' on yours. I wonder what prompted that, because that would indicate a special limited release?
Stretch

Attachments

Reactions: egw

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I have an older Craviotto BirdsEye snare that didn't come from the factory, but was signed by Johnny. Your shell is gorgeous and has a lot more design than mine (more grain). It didn't have a badge; I was able to add an older Craviotto badge I obtained. [Pics below.]
I see the numbering of '14 of 125' on yours. I wonder what prompted that, because that would indicate a special limited release?
Stretch
What was the original badge on your snare? Yes mine was a LE run of 5.5x13 snares, actually 5.375x13. When I get it all back together it will hold it's own next to my other Craviotto custom shop curly maple.

crcus1470cmts8small.jpg crcus1470cmts7small.jpg crcus1470cmts6small.jpg crcus1470cmts1small.jpg crcus1470cmts2small.jpg crcus1470cmts3small.jpg crcus1470cmts4small.jpg crcus1470cmts5small.jpg

Latest posts