Question for Ludwig 6 ply owners

dexter74

Reaction score
I have a line on a 6 ply cortex set. 22/12/13/16". I've read 6 ply tubs are way heavy. I do have a 15" 6 ply tenor that I guess is kinda heavy, but not ridiculous. I gig most weekends, haul my own gear, and am now "middle age" [ugh] and had some back issues last year, so I'm trying to avoid "heavy" drums.

I'm currently gigging a Rogers Big R which aren't quite as light as 3 ply ludwigs, but aren't heavy IMO. Would love to get some feedback from 6 ply owners before pulling the trigger on these. Thanks in advance.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have any direct shell weight comparisons, maybe a check on the Ludwig site???

I would just like to suggest getting a cart to help move your drums around and take the load of your back.

levelpebble

Reaction score
I restored a six ply Ludwig Chicago badge kit a year or two ago. It had a 24" bass. I was not sorry to see it go, it was quite heavy.
On the other hand, I just took in a 9/72 five ply Fullerton Rogers kit with a 24" bass to restore. No comparison, so much lighter.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a 6-ply kit for a while. Definitely some heft but not unmanageable. I now have a couple of USA Gretsch kits, one vintage and one newer; with their die-cast hardware, I'd say the Gretches are of comparable weight to the Luds. I never hear people complain much about the weight of Gretsches.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had mine since 1980 or so. I suppose they're a bit heavy, but not to the degree that I even think about it when moving it to/from gigs.