Question for the rogers experts

dexter74

Reaction score
I've been playing big Rs (not xp8s) for a few years and love them. Highly overlooked and underrated drums.

I have a chance to get a Fullerton powertone set for a good price. I believe they're 5 ply shells - same as big Rs?

Script badge Rogers are always sweet, but would they be redundant with my big Rs? I don't neccesarily *need* another kit, but if they'd offer a different flavor sonically, I'd probably pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Betting you would need an oscilloscope to tell the difference between Fullerton script badge shells and early (painted interior) Big R shells with same heads and tuning.

You will have those that argue about the difference the mounts make, but having owned both styles (and made modifications on the Big R tom arms and using R.I.M.S. mounts on Big R) - with a full band playing along, the difference would be hard to notice.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really, apart from the aforementioned tom mounts the only other real difference is that the Powertones still have internal tone controls, same 5 ply shells, rerings, trunk paint. I can't vouch for Powertones, but there are a few Fullerton 9/72 kits that are 3 plies and have a more pronounced sonic difference, though they are not easy to run across.

Last edited: