Question for the Slingerland gurus....

Ludwig2010

Reaction score
My buddy is a guitarist whos had this Slingerland kit in his moms basement for many years, it was used when he got it...would anyone have any guesses as to its age/shell construction?
Thanks!

Attachments

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

jmetatual

Reaction score
My buddy is a guitarist whos had this Slingerland kit in his moms basement for many years, it was used when he got it...would anyone have any guesses as to its age/shell construction?
Thanks!
Black/silver Niles badge 70's/80's. Super set-o-matic later 70's. Snare throw off is 60's. Mahogany/poplar/maple shells most likely. More pictures/details needed.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice kit...would look even nicer if not behind that obtrusive rack.

robbie

Reaction score
Had to edit my reply. Someone has posted PDF files of every Slingerland catalog ever published. It's a great resource for anyone interested in these drums. Based on my personal experience and reviewing these catalogs, it's a mid- to late 70's kit.
Lose the rack and let that kit shine!

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, the Super Setomatic didn't appear until the late 70's. Judging by the re-rings in the bass drum, we're talking Slingerland's famous 3-ply shells with solid maple re-rings. Since this is a wrapped finish, the shells are most likely maple/poplar/maghony. The mahogany was used as the outer ply as the open grain was ideal for accepting glue for the wrap.

-Mark

jmetatual

Reaction score
Looking more carefully the bass drum appears to be mid 60's. Is the badge Black/brass? The super set-o-matic is NOT mounted to the BD. I'm thinking it's primarily a 60's kit with 70's rack tom(s). Need to see badges/serial numbers and more pictures of snare and floor tom.

Ludwig2010

Reaction score
Yes, one of them is black/brass, he's going over today to see which is which...i thought the 13,14, 20 was a weird combo

Ludwig2010

Reaction score
Got more info..all of the drums have reinforcing rings, snare and toms have the adjustable dampers, all have gold oval badges except for the 14" tom which has silver. Looks to me like the kick may have holes where a rail mount went? So I guess the 14 was added later.

Snare serial # 103526
13 serial # 101090
14 serial # 316781
FT serial # 101295
kick serial # 101287

Attachments

jmetatual

Reaction score
Yes, as suspected, you've got a mid sixties kit with one additional later 70's rack tom (14"). Black/brass badges with nicely clustered serials (101xxx-103xxx) are most likely '66. As Mark said earlier, classic 3-ply shells with re-rings and clear maple interiors. Look very carefully as these often have date stamps inside the shells. The four holes in the BD are consistent with a #172 consolette tom mount (correct for this era). What is the FT size? If 16x16 then you likely have a Gene Krupa 1N kit (20", 13", 16" with 14" Artist snare). Nice looking, unmolested original kit.

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
14" rack tom with black/silver badge and serial 316xxx is a mid to later 70's drum. Certainly added later. Check the wrap against the 60's drums and you will notice it is a different version of BDP.

Ludwig2010

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, he said he noticed the wraps didn't match...the floor is 16x16, I'll tell him to look inside for date stamps.

Latest posts