Question for you LEFTIES

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hosted a Jam throughout 2019. Brought a kit that had one up and one down. Small tom was on a snare stand. Floor tom on legs. It took just minutes to convert for a Lefty .....Everyone Happy.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life long lefty here, I think others have covered it, its a bias we are all used to, it goes way beyond drums, not really that big of a deal though, you get used to it.

I only posted to share a story - years ago went back to my home town to visit. A buddy of mine who was a great drummer all the way back in high school and inspired me to play was hosting an open mic at a local bar. A bunch of us go to check him out, and there are two drum kits set up. The second drummer I didn't know, I asked him if I could sit in so I could jam with my old buddy (it was an open mic...). Guy was a bit anal with his gear but immediately tried to get out of it cause he was a lefty and didn't want to move his drums around... I'm sure that got him out of it many times in the past, heck Ive used it myself. Personally I couldnt beleive my luck, kept my secret to myself and just told him "dont worry, I'll do my best".

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life long lefty here, I think others have covered it, its a bias we are all used to, it goes way beyond drums, not really that big of a deal though, you get used to it.

I only posted to share a story - years ago went back to my home town to visit. A buddy of mine who was a great drummer all the way back in high school and inspired me to play was hosting an open mic at a local bar. A bunch of us go to check him out, and there are two drum kits set up. The second drummer I didn't know, I asked him if I could sit in so I could jam with my old buddy (it was an open mic...). Guy was a bit anal with his gear but immediately tried to get out of it cause he was a lefty and didn't want to move his drums around... I'm sure that got him out of it many times in the past, heck Ive used it myself. Personally I couldnt beleive my luck, kept my secret to myself and just told him "dont worry, I'll do my best".
I can't love this enough!!!

I was a Groomsman in a friend's wedding in the 80s and the wedding band was a group of older guys probably in their 50s (I was in my 20s) and as luck would have it, the drummer was a lefty. My friend (the Groom) asked the drummer if I could sit in (with me standing next to him), and the drummer said sure, but apologized that he was a lefty and I said, "So am I!"

Reactions: owr

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm righty, but my son is lefty and I work hard to clear obstacles out of his way. His guitars are lefty, but when I set his drums up lefty at age 4 or 5, he didn't like it. But I have set my kit up lefty, as I wanted to try open handed with my right hand on snare. My hands were ok but I found left pedal bass was stinking hard to overcome, and eventually set back up right handed

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all happened right up the road from you John in Nashua. Truth is, I probably spilled my secret to the drummer and we hugged it out as fellow lefties. But the new version of the story plays better...

I can't love this enough!!!

I was a Groomsman in a friend's wedding in the 80s and the wedding band was a group of older guys probably in their 50s (I was in my 20s) and as luck would have it, the drummer was a lefty. My friend (the Groom) asked the drummer if I could sit in (with me standing next to him), and the drummer said sure, but apologized that he was a lefty and I said, "So am I!"

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all happened right up the road from you John in Nashua. Truth is, I probably spilled my secret to the drummer and we hugged it out as fellow lefties. But the new version of the story plays better...
Now doubt it happened somewhere on Daniel Webster Highway... ;) Great story...

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

It gets me out of people wanting to sit on my kit all the time. I let a fellow sit in on my kit one time who dented every head and its a flat miracle he didn't crack my cymbals. I vowed that would never happen again and it hasn't. Having them set up lefty is a big part of off setting the "sit in to play" deal...

Reactions: owr

moonbabie

Reaction score
I can’t stand rushing to switch the house kit from right to left on limited time then back again. And getting an attitude in the process from the clubs sound guy who has to adjust his mics twice.(and It’s understandable).just once i‘d like to see a lefty follow after me and give me a break so I don’t have to switch the kit back after a tiring set...woes me

Last edited:

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always bring a snare stand in case the bass drum Tom mount doesn’t work for me. Also I may remove the small Tom leave the 13 where it is. Also I learned to not give a F... if the sound man is pissed that I have to reverse the snare and floor Tom. “Sorry bud I understand but it’s the way it is”

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I had a chance to jam on someone else kit at a gig, I actually passed because they had multiple items mounted on single stands.
To try to swap the floor/snare/hats would've taken major reconstruction of the kit.
Got to see some other friends play, so it was all cool.

Elvis

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started playing lefty on purpose so that the chances of someone deciding to start playing my kit on break doesn’t happen. House kits tend to be so non-maintained that I don’t care to play them anyway and I frankly don’t want others playing my kit ever. I know some people (particularly non-drummers) make it out like I am being selfish, but after seeing how people treat a kit that isn’t theirs, I simply don’t want the hassle. When a guitar player gives me attitude, I simply respond with “how about your Custom Shop Murphy Les Paul gets passed to every guitar player in the line up? If you’re willing to do that, my kit will be the night’s house kit.” It shuts them up every time.

Nubs

Reaction score
My neighbor who's a guitarist came over the other night and wound up sitting at my kit for a minute. It was pretty funny to see him struggle with a "backwards" kit :)

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm cool with my kit being played even by a non-lefty, but not if they play like they're trying to shove camping gear into the back of a Corolla.

CigarScott

Reaction score
Most pedals can’t be reversed. Most Yamaha’s can and so does the PDP Boa pedal line (although you have to have the right tools for it).
Pearl Demon Drives are thankfully reversible but I was able to get one already set up for a lefty. Now I have it set up as two single pedals I know have a double bass kit.

jmcohen

Reaction score
I couldn’t find a teacher to teach me left handed, so I “conformed.” Just as I did when my older brother taught me to swing a baseball bat. Ya get used to living in a Right-hand World.
Then I went to the police academy. Every firearms instructor scowled at me (or worse). This was back in the day of revolvers. In order to properly reload the revolver, I had to switch the gun to my right hand and try to hold the cylinder open without burning the snot out of my hand on the forcing cone (which heats to flesh-burning temperature after firing six rounds through it). Then shotguns and rifles, all set-up and designed for righties. Some guns will eject expended shells right into my own head.
I tired switching drumming to left-handed several years ago but it turned out to be such an enormous step back I ran out of patience.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t find a teacher to teach me left handed, so I “conformed.” Just as I did when my older brother taught me to swing a baseball bat. Ya get used to living in a Right-hand World.
Then I went to the police academy. Every firearms instructor scowled at me (or worse). This was back in the day of revolvers. In order to properly reload the revolver, I had to switch the gun to my right hand and try to hold the cylinder open without burning the snot out of my hand on the forcing cone (which heats to flesh-burning temperature after firing six rounds through it). Then shotguns and rifles, all set-up and designed for righties. Some guns will eject expended shells right into my own head.
I tired switching drumming to left-handed several years ago but it turned out to be such an enormous step back I ran out of patience.

This sticks in my craw a little! Why can't a right handed drum teacher teach a lefty? I ask that rhetorically of course. I am a lefty and play my kit set up as a lefty. I have taught my son to play and he's right handed. I have never cared one way or the other what hand you lead with because the principles and fundamentals are the same no matter what hand you favor. I realize there are some things that are more difficult but they can be easily worked through with a little bit of effort. I just don't buy the argument... It has never been an issue in my sons case and a few others that I've run across and taught over the years.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sticks in my craw a little! Why can't a right handed drum teacher teach a lefty? I ask that rhetorically of course. I am a lefty and play my kit set up as a lefty. I have taught my son to play and he's right handed. I have never cared one way or the other what hand you lead with because the principles and fundamentals are the same no matter what hand you favor. I realize there are some things that are more difficult but they can be easily worked through with a little bit of effort. I just don't buy the argument... It has never been an issue in my sons case and a few others that I've run across and taught over the years.
A competent teacher shouldn’t have a problem teaching lefties. I had lessons from 3 different right-handed teachers and it was fine. They told me to adjust the reading and sticking for left hand and I got used to it after awhile. It even helped to play a line with right handed lead on occasion.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding teachers - it might be a situation where you go to the teachers house and play their kit, switching up lefty might be undesirable for them. I had this with my main teacher, he had a huge racked up kit in a small space, there was no switching it up. I just brought bass/snare/hats to every lesson. Was extra work, but the bonus was we could both play at the same time and started ending lessons with a jam. Great way to work on feel.