Question... matching Yamaha Live Custom finish

markkarj

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Live Custom tom pack coming (10, 12, 16) in amber shadow. For the time being, I'm planning to use the 16" as a small bass.

I'd like to eventually add an 18" bass drum, but the Live Customs are discontinued. It seems the 18" bass drums in the original series are hard to come by in that finish, and Yamaha's new Live Custom Hybrids don't have a matching finish (and are stupidly expensive).

I've contemplating getting a Stage Custom bass drum and seeing about refinishing it. My questions are:

1) There's a Stage Custom amber, but it seems a lot lighter in colour than the Live Custom amber. Does anyone know if it's possible to apply a darker transparent finish overtop the existing amber stain to get close to the Live Custom look; or

2) Would it be better to go with a Stage Custom in a natural finish, strip off any finishing lacquer, and stain it to match the toms; or

3) Be happy with the new mini set and pray like hell I might find a Live Custom 18" one day?

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
#3 is the answer, IMO. Trying to match a professional finish is tough. Unless you are willing to have a professional woodworker tackle it, I would just keep looking and enjoy what you have for now.

I say this as someone who tried to it themselves and I just wasn't happy with it.

markkarj

Reaction score
Thank you very much, I appreciate the advice.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we see these drums and what the 18 looks like? I've seen the honey amber, which is gorgeous. It's hard to say for sure, but generally, yes, matching will be very difficult, even for a pro (which will be $$$). Having just done a 16" bass, don't undersell that size - it works great. So maybe you won't "need" an 18" bass. Maybe also keep an eye out for a 13" or 14" tom, to make a better bop kit.......

markkarj

Reaction score
Sure... the Live Custom Amber is more like this. Some orange, but it's almost bordering on a darker brown:
live custom.jpg

The Stage Custom is much brighter. They do have a natural lacquer though as well
stage custom.jpg

I'm not sure whether it would be possible to strip the lacquer off, re-stain to darken the orange, and then re-lacquer it.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stick with option #3.
You'd have to be some kind of wizard to get a stage custom anywhere close to the finish on the live custom.

Chopsnbops

Reaction score
I think the lugs and rims on those drums were in a weird dark chrome too so you’d also have mismatched colored metal. Maybe just wait and stalk eBay until one finally pops up. And if you find a kit with a 18 Tom see if the guy would sell you it separately

that’s a beautiful kit by the way

markkarj

Reaction score
I think the lugs and rims on those drums were in a weird dark chrome too so you’d also have mismatched colored metal. Maybe just wait and stalk eBay until one finally pops up. And if you find a kit with a 18 Tom see if the guy would sell you it separately

that’s a beautiful kit by the way
Thank you all. I'll keep an eye on EBay. And for now, I now have the tom pack as a 10, 12, 14 and 16. If I can get the 16 low enough for a bass drum, then it should be fine without the 18".