Question: no 24 inch Paiste Signatures or Zildjian A Customs

markkarj

Reaction score
Does anyone know why 24 inch cymbals don't seem to be offered for Paiste's Signature line or Zildjian's A Customs? Is there a technical reason, or do you think it's simply lack of demand?

I think an A Custom 24 inch ride (medium thin) would be gorgeous if the 20 and 22 are any indication. Although I guess they did do the 23 for their 25th anniversary ride.

On the Paiste side, I remember Nicko McBrain saying they could only do his signature ride in a 22... but he didn't elaborate why.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the B15 blanks that Paiste gets for the Signature line are only available up to 22”

Can’t shed any light on the Zildjian question, sorry.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are correct. The largest signature alloy cymbal is 22". I haven't seen an explanation as to why that's the case. If I had to guess, when the Signature series was introduced in 1989, 24" cymbals weren't all that popular and Paiste already had that size in other lines. Now the line isn't as popular as it once was and bigger, thinner, darker cymbals are all the rage. Once again, there are 24" models available in other lines.

As you said above, Zildjian could have made the Anniversary model in 24", but they did 23" instead.

michiganice91

Reaction score
You are correct. The largest signature alloy cymbal is 22". I haven't seen an explanation as to why that's the case.
There is no good explanation except that Paiste won't do it. I don't buy the "we can't get a blank big enough" line for a second.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is no good explanation except that Paiste won't do it. I don't buy the "we can't get a blank big enough" line for a second.
Could be the minimum order for such blanks is prohibitive since they don’t have a standard model in that size/material. Too $$ for a few one-offs now and again. Just a theory...

markkarj

Reaction score
Yes, good point. I've always wondered whether they've wanted the Signature series to go away. It seems Paiste has focused much more on their B20 products lately, although they did have that 30th anniversary promo for the Signatures this year.

Latest posts