Question re Roland (swapping out pads)

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got a TD6 kit and they have three of the rubber pads, one mesh, for the drums-- can I swap out Roland mesh pads for the rubber ones?
I'm new to electronics-- in fact I never used a rack with drums before either. I knew that folks here will have the answer for me- thanks, in advance.

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
but will any model mesh pad work with it? Or will some not work with the older brain that I have?

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't be too hard on yourself for having an older brain. Many of us have older brains, and it's no crime to forget why you walked into a room or where you put your glasses...

Sorry, that was too teed up...

In general, most pads from the major players will work. HOWEVER... when you connect a non-Roland pad to a Roland module, of any kind, the only option you have in the trigger menu is for Roland pads. In other words, you'll find a menu where you can select the Roland pad you want to connect (PD105, PD125, etc.), but there will be no options for, say, a Yamaha pad. That doesn't mean it won't work, it just means you'll have to try the different Roland pads listed to see which one gives the response you're looking for.

Unless you're hooking up something built by Bob's E-Drum Pads & Bait Shop, you'll almost always get a sound, because it's just a trigger... you might not like the sound you get, but you'll get something. On an older module like the TD6 it's hard to say what you'll get with non-Roland pads.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't be too hard on yourself for having an older brain. Many of us have older brains, and it's no crime to forget why you walked into a room or where you put your glasses...

Sorry, that was too teed up...

In general, most pads from the major players will work. HOWEVER... when you connect a non-Roland pad to a Roland module, of any kind, the only option you have in the trigger menu is for Roland pads. In other words, you'll find a menu where you can select the Roland pad you want to connect (PD105, PD125, etc.), but there will be no options for, say, a Yamaha pad. That doesn't mean it won't work, it just means you'll have to try the different Roland pads listed to see which one gives the response you're looking for.

Unless you're hooking up something built by Bob's E-Drum Pads & Bait Shop, you'll almost always get a sound, because it's just a trigger... you might not like the sound you get, but you'll get something. On an older module like the TD6 it's hard to say what you'll get with non-Roland pads.
Bob's E-drum Pads and bait shop. Now there's a business that would thrive.