header.nohb.html

Question regarding GK UltraPhones and sound isolation

aarono2690

Reaction score
Got the GK UltraPhones a couple weeks ago after seeing multiple rave testimonials. I like them and my experience has been similar to what others have said. My one question is that in a couple of the personal reviews people were saying, "man I sometimes can barely hear the drums they're so good!". This made me concerned before I purchased because I typically play along to songs, a metronome, lessons, etc.

I got the GK UltraPhones and I'd say they isolate the sound well, but I've never had difficulty hearing my drums (even with light playing/ghost notes). This makes me a bit concerned because I'm wondering if my pair is not isolating well enough to protect my hearing fully. I did a comparison test using the GK UltraPhones versus my pair MPOW ear muffs and I'd say the GK lowers the volume about equal to my MPOW ear muffs so I assume they're protecting my ears sufficiently.

Like I said, my concern is a couple guys said they almost isolated TOO WELL and I'm not getting that experience. I'm thinking they are probably older guys who have lost a good deal of their hearing so their experience is different than mine.

Thoughts?

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The ambient sound is not completely isolated out. I can still hear my drums with them on but at an enormously lower sound level.
They’re just perfect for recording or woodshedding with a metronome.

aarono2690

Reaction score
The ambient sound is not completely isolated out. I can still hear my drums with them on but at an enormously lower sound level.
They’re just perfect for recording or woodshedding with a metronome.
Would you say the isolation is equivalent/slightly better compared to a quality pair of yardwork ear muffs?

tomo221

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would you say the isolation is equivalent/slightly better compared to a quality pair of yardwork ear muffs?
GKs basically are yardwork earphones (with drivers installed). So yes, isolation is comparable.

aarono2690

Reaction score
GKs basically are yardwork earphones (with drivers installed). So yes, isolation is comparable.
Thanks. Regarding sound quality they don't sound as good as the Sony 7506s (I used to have a pair), but I heard that's due to how the headphones are setup that it changes the acoustics and this is a common thing.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the 3M muffs that I think are used for the Ultraphones, or even ones with a higher level of isolation. I can still hear some high end from the cymbals, which is nice.
I remember playing with a pair of earmuffs that left no high end in whatsoever, they had rubber pads that were pressed around the ear hard. it was almost all low end that you heard. So, you can get higher degrees of isolation, but probably with a very uneven curve over the sound spectrum.