Question - slightly o.t.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Nope. Wouldn't there have to be a fifth note for 4/5 to exist? And if there is a fifth note, I have no idea what it is.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's humor. Everything about it is purposely wrong. A crescendo from sextuple forte to piano?

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
4/5 is possible, in theory. But not very practical. If you want 4 beats per measure, basing it on a quintuplet note is going to make writing anything else a royal pain. Not to mention trying to read it!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hardhat, 4/5 time is impossible. There's no such thing as a fifth note. That's pretty much the point. Might as well make it 4/3 time or 4/6, or 2/17.

Thumper, yes. For everyone who laughed at the image, at least one person tried to explain it, exemplified by these comments from a very good jazz guitarist:

"Here's what I see:
1. The flat symbols are reversed.
2. The fffffff notation is wrong. Fortissimo is ff.
3. The crescendo mark from ffffff to p (piano) is impossible. You can't go from stupid loud to quiet by getting louder.
4. The time signature is impossible: there's no such thing as a fifth note.
5. The tempo marking is incorrect; it uses an eighth rest rather than an eighth note.
6. Half notes are tied to eighth notes. That never happens.
7. The fermata over the final note is upside down.

I know there are more, but those are the ones I see."

My FB thread pretty much reflects what's happened here.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Hardhat, 4/5 time is impossible. There's no such thing as a fifth note. That's pretty much the point. Might as well make it 4/3 time or 4/6, or 2/17.

Thumper, yes. For everyone who laughed at the image, at least one person tried to explain it, exemplified by these comments from a very good jazz guitarist:

"Here's what I see:
1. The flat symbols are reversed.
2. The fffffff notation is wrong. Fortissimo is ff.
3. The crescendo mark from ffffff to p (piano) is impossible. You can't go from stupid loud to quiet by getting louder.
4. The time signature is impossible: there's no such thing as a fifth note.
5. The tempo marking is incorrect; it uses an eighth rest rather than an eighth note.
6. Half notes are tied to eighth notes. That never happens.
7. The fermata over the final note is upside down.

I know there are more, but those are the ones I see."

My FB thread pretty much reflects what's happened here.
Re: #6
I think you mean "beamed" not "tied".
Any notes can ne tied (or same symbol slurred) to another note. Half notes, and the final whole note (notice the boldness and lack of slant) can not have beams.

Latest posts