Questions about joining ASCAP/BMI

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi! I need to chat with someone who is familiar with the process. I'm in a project where I'm not a songwriter, but all 3 contributing members agreed to divide the publishers' share.
None of us are members of any PRO. Thanks for your help.

Dan

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of ASCAP.

I joined the same way the OP is looking into joining; I played on a live album and the band wanted to share credit with all band members from the album since a good chunk of it was done improvised.

Anyone can join, you pay (at least with ASCAP) a one time fee and fill-in the rest of the info for the album, etc.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you join ASCAP, there are sections under your account to list works that you were the creator, performer, or both. It sounds like yall may want to create a publishing account as well.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
https://www.ascap.com/help should answer most of your questions. You can call them too.

The songs need to exist somewhere first in the public sphere i.e. on a cd or digitally etc. If you’re in the process of making the first record I think you need to sign up after (or at the same time) you put it out since the whole point of a PRO is to deal with things that exist in some concrete form in the world beyond simply being copyrighted or only performed live. Each of your bandmates will need to create their own publishing company with each one linked as a co-publisher to the writer’s company. And you guys will need to decide what the percentage split will be. In my situation which is like yours, the writer has the largest percentage of publishing, with the rest of us splitting the rest evenly. The writer needs to have the songs registered with the copyright office in DC as well.

I can’t tell you what the difference is between ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. I’m signed up with 2 of them but have only made money from ASCAP but that’s because the main writer is signed up solely with them. I have a friend who works at BMI and she says if you want artist attention then go to ASCAP but if you want to get paid then go to BMI. That sort of implies BMI has some special sauce that can make you more money but I have no idea if this is true. I found this though: https://www.royaltyexchange.com/blog/ascap-vs-bmi-vs-sesac#sthash.fjyvQLz6.dpbs

thejohnlec

Reaction score
ASCAP member here as well. We were formerly BMI, but got out of it. Very easy to register on their website as a composer as well as a publisher.

Cheers and congrats!

Latest posts