questions and experiences with cymbal mods

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a novice, but I haven't been proliferic either. I've done I thnk 2 mods. The first was to Mike Skiba ( RIP) to thin down a Zildjian Hi Def 22. Apparently he did a lot of these and it worked out well. I sold it unfortunalely, but I'd love to hear it now. The second was to Heather Stine to lighten a 18 K Custom Session Ride to anything that wasn't a manhole. She did a great job but I think she had a dog to start with so it's not particulariy great. Good, but not great.

Now I'm thinning of sending Jesse Simpson a 20" Paiste Masters Dark Crash to thin down, especially on the edges so it opens up faster. Paper thin 19's and 20's are really hard to find unfortunately. So I'm not sure about a customization, or just sell it and look for a probably a Turkish brand to fill that void.

How's everyone feeling about stuff they got modded ?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
truthfully to me, mods and such just add another layer of confusion (some call it "choice") to an already pretty amazing selection questions endless on top of endless searches ---for cymbals that already exist.... ; )
"a useless addition to an already staggering proposition"

LOL~

" I assume they were already modded Once"
------------------------------------W. C. Fields -1921
Yea I'm not into re-sculpting bronze statues
I figure they were carved once that is enough for their lifetime.
I'm a purist.

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
truthfully to me, mods and such just add another layer of confusion (some call it "choice") to an already pretty amazing selection questions endless on top of endless searches ---for cymbals that already exist.... ; )
"a useless addition to an already staggering proposition"

LOL~

" I assume they were already modded Once"
------------------------------------W. C. Fields -1921
Yea I'm not into re-sculpting bronze statues
I figure they were carved once that is enough for their lifetime.
I'm a purist.
I knew you’d feel that way :)

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not only that, it complicates it..
The Tools the modder would and will use; what relation do they have with ..well the original "cutting etc" tools... even the hammers.

So you're putting a Buick carb on a Ford manifold may run..may not (mayn't...

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had Sabian shave off a couple hundred grams and rehammer my 20 Leopard. It’s now crashable has a deeper more full bodied wash while still retaining its cutting ping and killer bell. There’s plenty of knowledgeable cymbal mechanics/artists out there that know there stuff. Don’t be afraid to experiment.