Questions On Thinning The Heard

little rock

Reaction score
I am getting on up in years (72) and have a lot of drums. The wife thinks I need to star liquidating to some degree. OK, here is the dilemma: what to keep and what to move. Most of my stuff I don't care to move, but some of it I'm having a really hard time with. I have been collecting Slingerland mid-70s three ply blue glass glitter drums since the early 80s. I have 19 pieces which includes two bop kits and various other sizes and they are all in pristine condition. I also have a five piece USA Custom bop kit, 10,12, 14, 18" bass with matching snare. There is a 120th Anniversary Gretsch bop kit in Champagne sparkle #8 of 120 made and also a red sparkle Catalina Club bop kit. The big question is if I was to keep only one set, which one? I have 20 and 22" bass drums with the Slingerlands, so larger bass drum sets can be thrown into the mix also. Don't just consider bop kits.

little rock

Reaction score
I forgot to add that I don't gig anymore, just play in the practice room.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am getting on up in years (72) and have a lot of drums. The wife thinks I need to star liquidating to some degree. OK, here is the dilemma: what to keep and what to move.
Ok, first...mention to your wife that you'll liquidate her if she has any more bright ideas about your drum gear.

Good...now that we've cleared the air and established a few ground rules, I'd start with high quality pieces that you rarely play any more that will sell quickly and bring a decent price. If you can't bear to part with one or two pieces...keep em, end of story! I have more marriage tips if you're interested, all highlighted in my upcoming new marriage counseling video entitled "NO I'm NOT Upset...Touch Those Drums and I'll Show You Upset!." Hummm maybe I need counseling. Naw.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Since these are all kits you love, only you can rank them in order of preference. Do some hard thinking on them about collectibility, playability, etc.
I would consider selling off the ones that are the least desirable to the market place or hardest ones to sell for a strong price.....as it may take some time to do that (ie months to a year).

If you love the Slingerlands more than anything, keep all 19 for now....gives you multiple sizes to construct various sized kits. Trim down the Gretsch. You might decide after more time that you don't need all 19 Slingerlands.

To start, pick the set that you least desire out of all them. That gets you headed in the right direction. Once that is done....you'll have a better idea if you can part with another.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Let’s face it, narrow it down to one kit and a couple snares that you like. If you’re not gigging what are you going to do with all those drums. Do you need the cash? I am still playing out so I feel I need two kits for that, and one set up always here at my house.

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title is a nice play on words.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am getting on up in years (72) and have a lot of drums. The wife thinks I need to star liquidating to some degree. OK, here is the dilemma: what to keep and what to move. Most of my stuff I don't care to move, but some of it I'm having a really hard time with. I have been collecting Slingerland mid-70s three ply blue glass glitter drums since the early 80s. I have 19 pieces which includes two bop kits and various other sizes and they are all in pristine condition. I also have a five piece USA Custom bop kit, 10,12, 14, 18" bass with matching snare. There is a 120th Anniversary Gretsch bop kit in Champagne sparkle #8 of 120 made and also a red sparkle Catalina Club bop kit. The big question is if I was to keep only one set, which one? I have 20 and 22" bass drums with the Slingerlands, so larger bass drum sets can be thrown into the mix also. Don't just consider bop kits.
Leave a shell bank from your slingerland collection, two snares and you are home..

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Wow, that's quite the collection. Those USA gretsch sets should be the most valuable! I'd probably sell the catalina and duplicates of the slingerland (you mentioned two bop sets) first. Maybe list a few sets for a rather high price and see which one sells first.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been through the purge so I get where you are coming from . Why not keep a Slingerland kit with a 22” bass drum and the Gretsch Champagne sparkle bop kit . Let the rest go . These two kits will keep the spirit of your collection and allow you some versatility .

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not an exact answer to your question, but the Catalinas would definitely go if it was me as they’re the least valuable and most easily replaced and any duplicate sizes in the slingerland unless you want the option of double bass drums. That should lower the storage space required enough to make your wife happy. With the remaining drums I would take a notebook and catalog exactly what they are and a rough estimate of values and show it to your wife. Help her understand that they are essentially money in the bank, and make it less overwhelming for her to consider having to deal with down the road. If you want my actual answer on narrowing down to one set 22” 13”/14”/16”/18” Slingerlands or the closest the sizes you have would come to that, but I’m guessing you prefer the little ones from your collection

T-2

Reaction score
I'd keep anything that I really like. This stuff is for the living. At 72, you may have many years left to enjoy music and drums.

The things that you don't like, or are ambivalent about, you can sell or give away, or throw away.... it'll clear up some space.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rather than looking at it like which single set to keep, look at it like which to sell first. It's kind of a lot of work to sell drums so it'll take some time and you gotta start with one.

So make a list and rank them. If you want to get fancy, rank them by multiple qualities (sound, looks, intangibles). Sell the lowest set on the list first and go from there.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
These kinds of situations are always tough. I'm sure I will be there one day myself so I am trying to keep everything nice as can be and easily together so that if I need to sell, I can make choices. I'm only 50 so I'm hoping to have a LOT of years left behind the drums. I also plan on gigging until I can't or the music business completely falls apart and live music is a memory. (I'm really hoping that's not the case). If I was your age and still gigging a lot, I may be inclined to keep that catalina set. If they are just going to stay in a practice area, I would keep the champagne Gretsch. I tend to think Rick has the right solution with keeping the Gretsch and a Slingerland set up. Good luck!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You don’t sound like you are asking for advice so much as soliciting interest.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an exact answer to your question, but the Catalinas would definitely go if it was me as they’re the least valuable and most easily replaced and any duplicate sizes in the slingerland unless you want the option of double bass drums. That should lower the storage space required enough to make your wife happy. With the remaining drums I would take a notebook and catalog exactly what they are and a rough estimate of values and show it to your wife. Help her understand that they are essentially money in the bank, and make it less overwhelming for her to consider having to deal with down the road. If you want my actual answer on narrowing down to one set 22” 13”/14”/16”/18” Slingerlands or the closest the sizes you have would come to that, but I’m guessing you prefer the little ones from your collection
Drums, unfortunately are not like money in the bank. Selling drums, especially better or vintage drums is not easy unless you want to give them away. I don't want to leave too much behind for my to have to deal with.
I've recently sold most of my "I'll never sell this" stuff and I really don't miss any of it.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get down to 1 snare, a set of cymbals and a set of hardware. Using the proceeds, I will buy an inexpensive be bop kit for my home, as it doesn't look like I will playing out much anymore. Still have valuable gear left to sell after my DFO hang and garage sale.