Questions On Thinning The Heard

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drums, unfortunately are not like money in the bank. Selling drums, especially better or vintage drums is not easy unless you want to give them away. I don't want to leave too much behind for my to have to deal with.
I've recently sold most of my "I'll never sell this" stuff and I really don't miss any of it.
There will always be someone willing to pay what someone told their wife they paid for a USA Gretsch bop set unless he made the mistake of telling the truth of what they cost to begin with

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drums, unfortunately are not like money in the bank. Selling drums, especially better or vintage drums is not easy unless you want to give them away. I don't want to leave too much behind for my to have to deal with.
I've recently sold most of my "I'll never sell this" stuff and I really don't miss any of it.
Yeah, I think we owe to our wives not to leave a mess of stuff for them to sell off. Heck, it's hard enough for us to sell stuff and we know prices and where to sell it, but our wives really have no idea.

And honestly, once the stuff is gone, it's gone, and you won't miss it at this point of your life. It might even feel really good to lighten up your life. Good luck.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would keep the 5 pc. USA Custom and sell the rest. But I'm not you. :dontknow:

m.clover

Reaction score
Mine ('65 Club Date set re-wrapped and hardwared) are going to my son and grandchildren. Guitars and piano also going to the next gen. Come & get'm kids.

FlowTom

Reaction score
My concern is that Simmons will come out with a terrible sounding cocktail e-kit that clips on to your walker so you can entertain the troops on talent night at the assisted living facility.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, first...mention to your wife that you'll liquidate her if she has any more bright ideas about your drum gear.

Good...now that we've cleared the air and established a few ground rules, I'd start with high quality pieces that you rarely play any more that will sell quickly and bring a decent price. If you can't bear to part with one or two pieces...keep em, end of story! I have more marriage tips if you're interested, all highlighted in my upcoming new marriage counseling video entitled "NO I'm NOT Upset...Touch Those Drums and I'll Show You Upset!." Hummm maybe I need counseling. Naw.
Thank the Great Pumpkin I never got married and never fathered a kid! 66 and going on ten!

gra7

Reaction score
If it was me, unless it truly would hurt the soul selling the Slingerland drums, I would just keep the 120th Anniversary Gretsch bop kit and whatever snares you have that you like the most.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Personally, I'd keep the 19-piece Slingerland and enough snares to make it simple to organize and break off smaller kits from it. Then sell the rest. Now when I say personally, it's because I've already done that with my own collection.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd sell that Catalina Club kit (who needs the cheap stuff, when you have the great?), get rid of anything with a 22" or larger bass drum and if you have a bunch of Slingerland stuff at least sell the stuff that's the same sizes and era as other kits that you have. If they're similar in most other ways, sell the one that has the finish that you like a bit less.

little rock

Reaction score
You've already violated the first rule of the forum by failing to list the cymbals you have.
I plan on selling a bunch of those also, but I don't care to sell most of them. I've sold one to a forum member that lives close by so far. I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to sell stuff in this thread so I'm trying to be careful of how I post.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Keep what gives you the most joy. Only you can answer that my friend. That’s all I got.
Dan is on the money…

What floats our individual boats is unique to all of us.

Keep whats get your rocks off, or/or covers your gigging… the rest is fluff.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep them all and let your survivors dispose of them when you're gone.
I had a friend who passed away from cancer a few years ago. He contacted me when he was getting treated, and asked me to help his wife sell off his gear. He had a well-used double-bass Ludwig 70's kit. I took it to the local drum shop, Stebals, and got some cash for it. It was not in great shape.

Month later they get a call from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - they are looking for a big kit for the new "Garage" exhibit. So, my buddy's drums live on, and get played everyday by people from all over who visit the Rock Hall. His widow couldn't be happier, and it sill makes me smile when I think about it. :)

So, if your stuff is rare/collectible, better to sell off (or put in your will) when you can control it. If it's not, you can let them roll the dice.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's not very cool...
Sure it is if you do it right. Drums are not the only assets to be disposed of - there are cars, a boat, house, furniture, etc. I have set up a trust that lists all of the assets and how to distribute the proceeds to my survivors. It has instructions on where I keep pictures and information on the drums, what they're worth and where to take them (a local musical instrument swap shop run by two drummer friends). That makes the drums easier to dispose than most of the other assets. I wish my parents had set up a trust to make my job easier when disposing of their assets.