Questlove or Safari?

wrabbi

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

"We're Getting the Band back Together" - Jake Blues

After being down for Covid, the band is starting to rehearse again. However, the rehearsals are not at my place were my kit is set up. I do not want to lug around the big kit so I got permission from the wife to buy a rehearsal kit. I do not want crap, but I want easy transport, setup, and take down. I have read good things about the Ludwig Breakbeats and the Sonor AQ2 Safari.

My question is....would you guys spend the extra $250 to get the Sonor, which has maple shells, and much better hardware, and an 18 inch kick? Or, would you go with the Breakbeats which are poplar, and the hardware is less stout, but better meets the need of transport and setup? It also has a 14 inch snare, which would be a backup.

Also, I have heard people say "practice on what you play". Have you guys experienced a problem rehearsing on a 4 piece kit, then playing on a 5 or 6 piece at a gig?

Thanks for any input

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Safari is a 16” bass drum. They do offer an 18” bass drum in just a normal bop configuration (18/12/14). In that case, though, you’re looking at different tom sizes, too, which may or may not be a good thing.

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
I had the Questlove kit for awhile. For a rock practice kit, it's totally fine.
Transitioning from a 4pc to a bigger kit is no problem, but the reverse would definitely throw me off.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me , I’d go Sonor over Ludwig easy on those kits ...$250 won’t matter in a few months .

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

"We're Getting the Band back Together" - Jake Blues

After being down for Covid, the band is starting to rehearse again. However, the rehearsals are not at my place were my kit is set up. I do not want to lug around the big kit so I got permission from the wife to buy a rehearsal kit. I do not want crap, but I want easy transport, setup, and take down. I have read good things about the Ludwig Breakbeats and the Sonor AQ2 Safari.

My question is....would you guys spend the extra $250 to get the Sonor, which has maple shells, and much better hardware, and an 18 inch kick? Or, would you go with the Breakbeats which are poplar, and the hardware is less stout, but better meets the need of transport and setup? It also has a 14 inch snare, which would be a backup.

Also, I have heard people say "practice on what you play". Have you guys experienced a problem rehearsing on a 4 piece kit, then playing on a 5 or 6 piece at a gig?

Thanks for any input
If $ is not an issue, I’d opt for the Sonor Safari for the build quality and maple shells. But, the Breakbeats kit that I demo’d sounded surprisingly good, (including the snare), with clear Pinstripes all around and coated Amb. on the snare.

Dillasdonuts

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the Daru Jones signature kit? That also seems to be compact.

Jml

Reaction score
Sonor over the Questlove. Not even close. I had an old Safari for awhile and sold it only because I wanted bigger kit. I bought a Questlove and returned it the next day. Cheapest garbage kit I’ve ever had.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not experienced any problems rehearsing on a bikini and gigging on a four piece.

In fact, I feel having the rehearsal kit so stripped down helps me get the band (and me) focused on pocket and groove.

Just my dos centavos.

Which kit? Sometimes we spend more time rehearsing then playing out so get which ever one excites you the most.

wrabbi

Reaction score
Same here.
Although my favourite is the Pearl Midtown. 16/13/10, 13" snare, matching bags available (much better than the Questlove bags). Well made, compact, sounds great.
Soulfinger, the Midtown was a consideration, why is it your favorite?