Quick Question about the Slingerland 12-lug snares...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They came in brass, right? I have an 8x14 brass shell that's drilled for 12 double ended lugs. Would this shell normally be destined for steel or brass Sticksavers? Were brass,12-lug stick saver hoops ever made?

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
There were some extremely-rare brass 12-lug hoops around 1979-80. They were left in natural brass as part of a limited edition "black-gold" series kits. They were a 24/18/14/13/ 14X6.5 Spitfire configuration. There was one on reverb last year. There was also at least one stunning, promotional, black-beauty, Louise Bellson Explosion Kit ( 24/24/16/16/13/6/8/10/12/spitfire) with gold/brass hardware that was photographed at a drum show in 1979. It has since vanished into oblivion ...

jmetatual

Reaction score
Per Slingerland historian Dr. Carl Wenk the "black-gold" series ('82-'84) were based on the economy "Spirit" line of drums. The hardware was brass plated.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
These predated the Spirit series. They had tubular hardware and super-set-o-matic mounts. There were only a few of them, and the Spirits (yuk) were cheapened versions of them. The sets may have been prizes for runners-up participants of the 1979 Slingerland National Drum Contest, as the Belleson Explosion kit was built to promote the event. I have a pic of the Belleson kit somewhere.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's the only picture I have of my 70's 12-lug COB Spitfire snare drum, with COS hoops. It's shown here with my Rogers Celebrity outfit, purchased new in the summer of 1972. The Celebrity came with the COB Dynasonic, but I preferred the Spitfire. I had a tough time tuning those 12 lugs, until I realized that, with the lugs so close together, I had to make smaller adjustments to tension than with 8 and 10 lug drums! It was a great sounding snare drum!

-Mark

Attachments

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Slingerland did offer a lacquered brass spitfire, but it had chrome hoops and lugs.

Here's the Bellson Explosion kit. If I remember correctly, it could might be bronze plated hardware. If anyone knows of a better picture of these drums, please share it!

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

It looks like there are Louis's personal name plates on the floor toms just under the badges, in addition to the head logos, so this might have been his personal set.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's the only picture I have of my 70's 12-lug COB Spitfire snare drum, with COS hoops. It's shown here with my Rogers Celebrity outfit, purchased new in the summer of 1972. The Celebrity came with the COB Dynasonic, but I preferred the Spitfire. I had a tough time tuning those 12 lugs, until I realized that, with the lugs so close together, I had to make smaller adjustments to tension than with 8 and 10 lug drums! It was a great sounding snare drum!

-Mark
Wow! That's awesome. Was it an expensive drum?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a laquered brass 8x14 12-lug drum. We're they in the catalog?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! That's awesome. Was it an expensive drum?
D. B.!! Looking at the Slingerland catalogs over at vintagedrumguide.com, the Spitfire only shows in the 1979 catalog. Honestly, I don't recall what I paid for it. I did purchase it new, probably from a local store at the time. If I had to guess, I'd say it was around $200 or so.

Here's a link to some great pictures of one for sale on DFO, back in October, 2014. HERE Note how large the pictures show back then! Sure would be nice to be able to display larger pictures again here, instead of the much smaller size that was implemented when this website was restructured. I can dream, can't I?!!!

-Mark

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
D. B.!! Looking at the Slingerland catalogs over at vintagedrumguide.com, the Spitfire only shows in the 1979 catalog. Honestly, I don't recall what I paid for it. I did purchase it new, probably from a local store at the time. If I had to guess, I'd say it was around $200 or so.

Here's a link to some great pictures of one for sale on DFO, back in October, 2014. HERE Note how large the pictures show back then! Sure would be nice to be able to display larger pictures again here, instead of the much smaller size that was implemented when this website was restructured. I can dream, can't I?!!!

-Mark
Wow. Sweet. Yeah, that's a cool drum.
But I was talking about an 8", raw brass version, like my shell.

Mayan

Reaction score
I own two of the spitfires now (both with the TDR strainer, so I’m guessing both from 1979), and I also had one (COW) when I was a kid. Now I have a 5.5” COW and 5” COB, and I’d love to find more. I love these drums, multijd and Fullerton, I’m jealous of you both!

Latest posts