Quick question.. flat based boom

jaymandude

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I use the Yamaha crosstown pack for when I gig but I'd like a flat based boom for my ride.

Any preference... Gibralter or DW ? I think there's a a price difference..

Thanks

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig makes a flat bass boom cymbal stand that is excellent

LarryJ

Reaction score
I have used Gibraltar flat based stands for 15 years and found them to be too light to use as a boom for a ride, imho. They are fine for a ride as a straight stand, which is how I use them.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like my Gibraltar boom. I think the longer legs on Gibraltar helps keep it stable.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a DW ultralight boom. It's "ok" for a ride if the cymbal isn't too heavy, positioned correctly, played gently, and in a wind-free environment. Otherwise, it doesn't go high enough. I use it as a straight stand.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I mean. Who makes this decision at Ludwig? “Yes Bob, that design for those stand feet look great. The logo really stands out so everyone at Ginnys can see what hardware the drummer is using “. Hell no they don’t , it’s the same designer who did the Pontiac Aztec. It’s just hideous, both of them. See, now you got me started...
the ludwig feet are BRILLIANT. You can run them with the feet either "low" or "high", so that you can nest tripods if needed. that's one of the only downsides of standard flat-based stands.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Ludwig makes a flat bass boom cymbal stand that is excellent
I had a 22" K Zildjian Heavy Ride (yes a 22", and that f**ker is heavy) mounted on a Ludwig flat-base boom stand for years and it was as steady as a rock, even under hard playing with 5B sticks. That stand currently holds a 22" K Zildjian Ride and it doesn't move either.

And I agree with bpaluzzi: The feet are indeed brilliant. I have 6 Ludwig flat-base stands and those feet let me place them much closer together than would be possible with regulation-style feet. Get over it folks, function dictates form.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My DW one always worked great. it's the heavier one, not ultralite. Does have a very short boom arm though if that's an issue. Never was a problem for me though.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the Gibraltar with my 22" Sabian Legacy Heavy ride which weighs 2955 grams. The stand has a slight wobble/bounce to it, but nothing that makes me think it isn't stable.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
the ludwig feet are BRILLIANT. You can run them with the feet either "low" or "high", so that you can nest tripods if needed. that's one of the only downsides of standard flat-based stands.
I believe that designer was Josh who now runs Inde Drum Labs. They are big but the intended purpose is a realy good idea.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
yeah but for $7 you can get flat feet for the Ludwigs, they look so much better.
And if you don't need the "over/under" feature of the stock feet and want a vintage look, get these: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibraltar-floor-tom-large-rubber-feet

I bought a few packs of those to have extras and they work great. I don't have enough stands to worry about positioning them though.