Quick release hi hat clutch

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
When i was working the cymbal booth in Chicago recently, one particular drummer had his own hi hat clutch. He made a quick,easy twist motion and it came apart to allow ease of replacing the top hat. He was trying out hi hat cymbals that I had for sale. I'm pretty much a vintage gear guy. So this was news to me. Who makes a decent one of these?

Mike

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The two most popular are by Remo and Gibraltar. I own both, and they each have strengths and weaknesses, but I think I prefer the Gibraltar's system.

Looks like some new ones are out from Tama and Pearl, but I haven't seen any reviews on those yet.

Cherry Hill makes a fancy custom one that has the same system as the Remo.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Thankful for my two Gibraltar QR clutches at every gig (especially when I'm tired and just wanna get out of the venue)

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I have two of the Pearl quick release clutches. (Normal & Drop-Clutch) & a Mapex Falcon QR Clutch. The Pearl ones are fantastic & much better than the twist type.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That Rogers looks like a copy of the Gibraltar, no?
Bottom half does, the top looks different to me. I'm sure it's made by somebody for Roger's though. I just find it weird that Roger's has a reboot as a company starting with snares and pedals and they are also selling new hardware accessories with the Rogers name. They have no drum kits or even a hi hat stand but they sell a clutch?
I guess the market for that is people with old Rogers kits that would want a new clutch.
The website says "Authentic replacement parts". I'm trying to figure out the authentic part. I'm under the assumption that those parts are Asian made or am I wrong?
Seems like a strange business plan to get back in the market!

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bottom half does, the top looks different to me. I'm sure it's made by somebody for Roger's though. I just find it weird that Roger's has a reboot as a company starting with snares and pedals and they are also selling new hardware accessories with the Rogers name. They have no drum kits or even a hi hat stand but they sell a clutch?
I guess the market for that is people with old Rogers kits that would want a new clutch.
The website says "Authentic replacement parts". I'm trying to figure out the authentic part. I'm under the assumption that those parts are Asian made or am I wrong?
Seems like a strange business plan to get back in the market!
Brand new Rogers kit at namm
FB29385A-DCB5-4EB7-961D-77DACD119824.jpeg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Brand new Rogers kit at namm
View attachment 398776
Yeah I saw it a couple months ago but it's still a concept kit. It's not for sale and still not even listed on their website. And as I recall here on DFO, some people spoke positive about it and other's didn't like it. I personally don't know anything about Rogers so I wont comment on it. Seems nice in the picture though! My Ludwig's are blue so I especially like that sparkle blue color. The point I was trying to make though was that it seems strange that they would start in reverse by coming out with hardware and random pieces and then eventually introducing the kits. For the sake of those who love Rogers kits, I hope they succeed.
By the way, I take back the part of them not having stands. I just noticed on their website that they have a new Dynomatic hardware line that includes stands and a throne.
Maybe soon they will have complete kits available.

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 3 of the Remo. Love them. Haven't tried the Gibraltars.
I was using the Remos for years but one was wearing out and picked up one of the new Pearls at Memphis. The sales guy who does backline recommended it. They're more expensive but work very well. I like it.

shopping.png

DrummerPat

Reaction score
I have two remo and two gibraltar. Both work great and have their advantages like the top hat adjustment on the remo or the simply pull to release on the gibraltar or the way the gibraltar tightens to the hi hat rod. The remo is lighter, looks more retro, and in most cases you can remove the remo hi hat screw and replace with the hi hat clutch screw. I use those on my vintage slingerland, ludwig and rogers hi hat stands. The remo also accepts small to larger diameter hi hat rods. Gibraltar doesn't work with my 80's ludwig. Price-wise..The Gibraltar is cheaper.

Last edited:

Latest posts