Quick release hi hat clutch

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can you elaborate please?
PinchClips are springy clip devices that replace cymbal stand wingnuts and hihat clutch nuts to act as a quick release. I love mine; they allow me to use narrower vintage clutches while still getting the quick release benefits of modern clutches. They’re on all my cymbal stands, too. Nice and lightweight, and they cut setup time modestly.

Ptrick

Reaction score
The Remo is probably the original, and the Gibraltar inspired by. I’ve used the Remo for close to 20 years. Tried and tested. Also I’ve seen it on more pro’s kits over the years regardless of their hardware endorsement.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Remo is probably the original, and the Gibraltar inspired by. I’ve used the Remo for close to 20 years. Tried and tested. Also I’ve seen it on more pro’s kits over the years regardless of their hardware endorsement.
I'll probably try out the Remo. Seems cheap enough as well at like $5 more than the Gibraltar. Right now I'm using the DW drop clutch but will probably give the Remo a shot for when I don't want to use the drop clutch.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
PinchClips are springy clip devices that replace cymbal stand wingnuts and hihat clutch nuts to act as a quick release. I love mine; they allow me to use narrower vintage clutches while still getting the quick release benefits of modern clutches. They’re on all my cymbal stands, too. Nice and lightweight, and they cut setup time modestly.

Thank you kindly for the info!

Ptrick

Reaction score
They use completely different systems, so no.
Inspired by meaning Remo had a quick release clutch long before Gibraltar had made a version. Remo has been out since the 90’s, Gibraltar started making their version around 2012. So pretty much anyone’s version of a quick release clutch was probably inspired by the Remo.

Yes they are different.

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've never done a poll. Maybe I should have? Thanks for all the input everyone.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
They make a split clutch, which sort of counts, but I don't think it's been around that long. It uses the same system as that Per-Del mentioned above.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something. The DW is a hook that catches the top part of its HH holder. Very similar to a regular HH older but there's no wing nut. The HH sits loose (on top of the bottom) and when you put your foot down, the DW hook (which is clamped to the HH rod) goes down and hooks the HH top holder pulling it up securely and letting you use the foot to close the hats. When you want to go back, you hit the side of it and it drops the HH holder so the cymbals sit on top of each other.

You hit the top of the rubber part to release the hook........

DW.jpg

Ptrick

Reaction score
That is most commonly referred to as a ‘drop’ clutch. The quick release clutches use different mechanisms to release the bottom nut quickly to be able to put the cymbal into the clutch, instead of unscrewing it manually on the threads.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Until I saw this thread, I thought I owned a DW quick release clutch. Years ago I bought a used DW 7000 hi hat stand and it came with a quick release clutch that had a DW branded wing screw. I always assumed it was a DW product. Now I know it is a Remo clutch that had the wing screw swapped out. Either way it's a great clutch that I'm still using today.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something. The DW is a hook that catches the top part of its HH holder. Very similar to a regular HH older but there's no wing nut. The HH sits loose (on top of the bottom) and when you put your foot down, the DW hook (which is clamped to the HH rod) goes down and hooks the HH top holder pulling it up securely and letting you use the foot to close the hats. When you want to go back, you hit the side of it and it drops the HH holder so the cymbals sit on top of each other.

You hit the top of the rubber part to release the hook........

View attachment 399059
As Ptrick said, that's a drop clutch, not a quick release clutch. I use that DW drop clutch but as I posted before, I'd like a quick release for times I don't use the drop clutch. The drop clutches are the slowest and worst if you want to change out the cymbal. Takes a lot of disassembly which is totally opposite of the quick release clutch.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think I see now.....so the bottom thing that screws on is able to be pulled off instead? Usually the top hat is screwed in between felt pads and my bottom HH just sits loose on the fat pad on the bottom and is not screwed in. The delay in changing is unscrewing the top, where the bottom just pulls off the pad.

I guess it makes sense but I don't see the need.....maybe I will pick one up and try it out.....thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah I must be missing something too. I love the PerDel because it slides apart in 2 pieces and becomes low profile. I can then put the hats in my snare case wrapped in a towel as the clutch bottom stays screwed to the top hat. Get to gig, grab hats, slide together the PerDel, slide on Sonor ProTec stand and go. Quick easy nothing to screw or unscrew.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Many typical threaded clutches work their way loose during playing, leaving you with the bottom nut sitting on top of your bottom hat. The quick release clutches will not do that. They lock in place.