Quiet acoustic setup for apartment practice

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Would this setup work?
- Pearl Midtown kit
- Zildjian L80 Low Volume 348 set
- Remo silentstroke mesh heads

I also have an alternative, which is exactly the same except for the kit which would be a Pearl Export. I prefer a more compact kit for a number of reasons, so I'd go with the Midtown if it works.
Thanks!

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like using Aquarian Superpads instead of the mesh heads. For whatever reason, I’ve never gotten the feel I’ve wanted with mesh heads, but I do think they would be a little quieter.

I’ve recently discovered a foam bass drum beater by Tama, which has made a huge difference in volume and feel. I don’t have any specially muffling on the kick.

The nice thing about these is that your kit will quickly to ready for a gig with the removal of the pads and installing a different beater.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would this setup work?
- Pearl Midtown kit
- Zildjian L80 Low Volume 348 set
- Remo silentstroke mesh heads

I also have an alternative, which is exactly the same except for the kit which would be a Pearl Export. I prefer a more compact kit for a number of reasons, so I'd go with the Midtown if it works.
Thanks!
It helps if you live in an end unit on the 1st floor so that the only common wall is the ceiling.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I like using Aquarian Superpads instead of the mesh heads. For whatever reason, I’ve never gotten the feel I’ve wanted with mesh heads, but I do think they would be a little quieter.
I’ve recently discovered a foam bass drum beater by Tama, which has made a huge difference in volume and feel. I don’t have any specially muffling on the kick.
The nice thing about these is that your kit will quickly to ready for a gig with the removal of the pads and installing a different beater.
I guess your answer to my question is "yes"? Thanks.
It helps if you live in an end unit on the 1st floor so that the only common wall is the ceiling.
I'm not sure what you're saying, sorry. I live in an apartment on the ground floor, under that there is garages so I would not annoy anybody. The only common wall I have with my neighbor is in the hall, which is where I located my electronic drum.

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
We recently changed over one of my kits to a quiet kit in much the same manor (Zildjian L80 and Mesh Heads from DFD). It is amazing how much quieter it is. If the mesh heads feel too bouncy, you can always use some small clamps to put tea towels or shop rags over the heads.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl Midtown - great little kit, gig-worthy, would definitely work. I use mine in an appartment with regular heads and cymbals, but I play very softly.
Low volume cymbals - never felt the need for those (see above), but tried them: infinitely more fun to play than regular cymbals with foam mufflers. Worth the money IMHO if you absolutely need something really quiet.
Mesh heads - tried them, don´t like them. Very weird and unnatural feel. Even a pillow is more fun to play. :)

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I guess your answer to my question is "yes"? Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're saying, sorry. I live in an apartment on the ground floor, under that there is garages so I would not annoy anybody. The only common wall I have with my neighbor is in the hall, which is where I located my electronic drum.
If you live in an end unit on the 1st floor, and you locate your drums in whatever room has the exterior wall (at the end of the building), then the only neighbor likely to hear you is above you, much better than below you.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did did a similar set up with a Tama Club Jam. I live in a contiguous townhouse and that set with the low volume Zildjians and Silent Strokes was certainly quiet enough for practice.

Ironic side note, I put some real heads on the kit and took it once to rehearsal for kicks. Turns out the people I’m playing with prefer the small kit to the monster kit that’s in the studio, so that’s where the Club Jam resides, and I’m using a practice pad kit now at home.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stinking apartments are the reason electronic drums become the only choice. I'll be struck by a bolt of lightning if I'm ever caught dead beating on them. I won't play them even at Guitar Center. I lived in a townhome for years where even a loud blast of flatus would get a complaint. Came home early and found out my neighbor enjoyed his drugs while I was at work and the other crybaby Karen liked cheating on her husband while he was at work. She had two aliases of which one had an open warrant for fraud by wire. I do my homework. I had words with them. I played my Slingerlands between 10am to 10pm every day for the following six years.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stinking apartments are the reason electronic drums become the only choice. I'll be struck by a bolt of lightning if I'm ever caught dead beating on them. I won't play them even at Guitar Center. I lived in a townhome for years where even a loud blast of flatus would get a complaint. Came home early and found out my neighbor enjoyed his drugs while I was at work and the other crybaby Karen liked cheating on her husband while he was at work. She had two aliases of which one had an open warrant for fraud by wire. I do my homework. I had words with them. I played my Slingerlands between 10am to 10pm every day for the following six years.
Everything is negotiable!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is negotiable!
Yeah, really sucks to have to go that way. The reason I moved there was there were a ton of musicians who lived in the complex and we'd have jam sessions in one of the three clubhouses two-sometimes three times a week. To me that was golden. These two neighbors moved in after I had been there for over two years. My brother passed away and I had to take care of business that required me to move out to the house I'm now. I'm trying to get done renovating so I can put up my drums again. CoVid put a lotta delay. I really miss living in those townhomes and jamming away with other musicians.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Thanks for hour help.
I decided to buy just the hi-hat and a stand for it, at least for now. I will practice with it plus a practice pad and a mesh head kick pad. If it works I think I'll move the ekit in another room and get the rest.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It'll work, but there will still be some thumping, so it depends on how sensitive your neighbors are.

If it was me I'd get the Stagg practice cymbals for $150. They're just as good and you get an extra crash.

If you plan on taking it out as a real kit at any point i'd spend the extra on the Aquarian Super pads or the Rtom black holes so you can leave your regular heads on.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
The RTOM Mesh heads also sound a lot better as you get more tone out them compared to regular mesh heads. More expensive though but they’re worth it to me

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Here's the kit I just bought. It definitely works for quiet practice.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

I tried an RTOM LV mesh head on my snare and it's too loud, so I used Remo Silentstroke heads for all the drums, including the kick.

Last edited: