Quiet cymbal

mark2456

Reaction score
I need a “QUIET” ride cymbal. I’m playing in a very unforgiving room, the acoustics are terrible. At the present time I’m using a Zildjian K Con medium thin low 20” or a Zildjian trans stamp 18”. Even after trying different types of muffling and using all the technique I know these two cymbals just overpower the room. So educate me on what type, size, brand and weight to look for.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would also agree on a flat ride. I have a Bosphorus Turk 19" flat ride that has great stick definition but limited "wash" and with my small ball tips sticks it is perfect for low volume acoustic gigs.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use an 18" Paiste Traditional Light Flat Ride for the lowest volume situations, paid $130 through eBay in 2013. I also have a 20" Soultone Custom Flat Ride for slightly louder situations, got it from Amazon a few years ago for only $85. Flat rides are definitely the way to go when you need an inherently quiet cymbal.

Last edited:

chillybase

Reaction score
I have a Sabian 22” HHX Omni in the for sale section that may fit the bill with your Ks. I dig it but it is quieter than I’d prefer.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I have a 21" Bosphorus Master Vintage that is perfect when volume is a concern. It gets out of the way quickly, without an overwhelming build-up of wash. I'm looking to sell it, so reach out if interested.

Last edited:

sammy123

Reaction score
The Paiste Master 22" thin is worth checking out. It's washy, dark, and pretty quiet. Volume wise close to my 2002 and 3000 flat.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
My quiet go to cymbals are a 20” K custom flat ride (credit to those above for highlighting flat rides) and my Kerope 20” & 22” rides. I was thinking about getting rid of my Keropes because of how quiet they are, but they are perfect when I’m in a situation similar to what you’re describing.

I agree with you on the K Con side, mine can be overpowering sometimes even with the lightest touch.... except for the 22” K Con Renaissance - if you want to keep it in the family give that one a try (but certainly more of a wash than a flat ride, at least I’ve found with mine).

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would use a 602 flat myself, but I also remember one band member calling a loud cymbals. Maybe because of the high-end; it was in a very bright sounding room.

Maybe something partly lathed or unlathed, Bos Masters Vintage? I usually think an unlathed flat ride defies the purpose of a cymbal in general, since it produces so little sound apart from the click of the stick, but it might be the quietest you can find - outside those low-volume perforated cymbals.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste used to make the Signature Mellow line. I'll use the crash if I don't want so loud.
I'm not sure if they're still making them, but I believe they are. It's definitely not as loud, nor does it sustain as long. The ride may be something to check out

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I have a 20" Zildjian K Custom Dry Light that is very nice for low volume situations. Defined ping and a small, but good sounding bell. In a similar vein: Zildjian 18" Uptown or Breakbeat rides.
Keropes are wonderful as well.
The Sabian XS20 Monarch, if you can find one, is a very quiet cymbal, pretty flat ride sounding, but with the benefit of a bell.

Latest posts