Quintuplet and Septuplet Drag Beats Explained

Curi

Reaction score
Just finished this video, let me know what you think!

&lc=z131wrepwlrdu34ij04cetojsmz0cx4hod4

Thanks
Alistair

Last edited by a moderator:

drums1225

Reaction score
Nice work, Alistair!

In recent years, I've come to really dig the J. Dilla style beats that have become prevalent in the live drumming of hip hop and many jazz drummers. While I doubt the masters of this groove style are/were thinking in 5s and 7s, it's a great way to quantify something that can be baffling to those of us who think and feel rhythm in the more common subdivisions.

Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Curi

Reaction score
drums1225 said:
Nice work, Alistair!

In recent years, I've come to really dig the J. Dilla style beats that have become prevalent in the live drumming of hip hop and many jazz drummers. While I doubt the masters of this groove style are/were thinking in 5s and 7s, it's a great way to quantify something that can be baffling to those of us who think and feel rhythm in the more common subdivisions.

Thanks for sharing.
Chris
Thanks for checking it out man! Yeah they're super cool.

drums1225

Reaction score
Hey, what hi hats are you using in the video? Are they 16" Byzance Extra Dry Med Thin hats? They sound great.

Also, something the "glitch", "drunk", or "drag" beat drummers do is keep the bass and snare drums straight, with only the hi hats "glitching", so they flam on the subdivisions. Also, "rushing" the snare, so it flams with a hi hat on a downbeat, or a combination of several different voices moving around rhythmically, as demonstrated here:
&list=PLIZmJC5_t8M-fCLKMp-LsFbGD6zo9v9jg&index=11

All in all, a very cool effect, and a bit of a brainbuster, but again, I think these guys are doing it naturally, by ear, due to the fact that they grew up listening to this feel.

Chris

Curi

Reaction score
drums1225 said:
Hey, what hi hats are you using in the video? Are they 16" Byzance Extra Dry Med Thin hats? They sound great.

Also, something the "glitch", "drunk", or "drag" beat drummers do is keep the bass and snare drums straight, with only the hi hats "glitching", so they flam on the subdivisions. Also, "rushing" the snare, so it flams with a hi hat on a downbeat, or a combination of several different voices moving around rhythmically, as demonstrated here:
&list=PLIZmJC5_t8M-fCLKMp-LsFbGD6zo9v9jg&index=11

All in all, a very cool effect, and a bit of a brainbuster, but again, I think these guys are doing it naturally, by ear, due to the fact that they grew up listening to this feel.

Chris
Yeah they are. Awesome hats.

And you're spot on with that, I was hoping to maybe turn this into a series cos there's so many things you can do within this style of playing - the quintuplets and septuplets are just the basics!

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Outstanding video! You are talented in not only music, but also production. Bravo.

Curi

Reaction score
mtarrani said:
Outstanding video! You are talented in not only music, but also production. Bravo.
Thank you very much!