Quit your career and just drum full time?

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Good for you brother but it is worth noting, if you hated your job, then that's a bit of a different story for sure.
Several of my fellow musicians like what they do in addition to music. That is so important.
Not just hating anything that's not music, but finding and having a career you like outside of music that's a solid foundation and your music is a great supplement.
If you hate your job like you did, I say get out and don't wast another day in it because you probably won't last long term anyway. Life's too short and money doesn't buy happiness but be careful because gigs, students, bands, do have a shelf-life.
I know there's a big difference between leaving a job you hate vs one you love. I went through probably 10 jobs in a decade trying to find something I liked and always landed back into music. The last time it happened, it was just the right timing that I decided to take the plunge. Our singer and bass player are full-time as well, and the bass player is also a DJ.

Our guitarist has a full-time job with a local city parks & rec. It's a great job with flexible hours and he's been moving up for the last 15 years. He'd never quit to play music full time, nor would I if I were in that situation and enjoyed it enough like he does. He's also got 4 kids and definitely couldn't afford healthcare without that job and seniority.

I have a backup plan if things go sour, but I'd see the writing on the wall before that's necessary. All four of us are very good friends and there's really little drama in the band. There's the occasional but nothing that would break us up. Plus, I'm diversifying more into non-music side projects like woodworking as I have a little more time on weekends when my wife watches our kid. And if I need to, I could probably get back into computers stuff like I did before.

Drumprof

Reaction score
I know there's a big difference between leaving a job you hate vs one you love. I went through probably 10 jobs in a decade trying to find something I liked and always landed back into music. The last time it happened, it was just the right timing that I decided to take the plunge. Our singer and bass player are full-time as well, and the bass player is also a DJ.

Our guitarist has a full-time job with a local city parks & rec. It's a great job with flexible hours and he's been moving up for the last 15 years. He'd never quit to play music full time, nor would I if I were in that situation and enjoyed it enough like he does. He's also got 4 kids and definitely couldn't afford healthcare without that job and seniority.

I have a backup plan if things go sour, but I'd see the writing on the wall before that's necessary. All four of us are very good friends and there's really little drama in the band. There's the occasional but nothing that would break us up. Plus, I'm diversifying more into non-music side projects like woodworking as I have a little more time on weekends when my wife watches our kid. And if I need to, I could probably get back into computers stuff like I did before.
Sounds like you got your head on straight and heck man I don’t blame you for going for it (hell, I did) just sharing my experience and why. Also sounds like you have a good thing going with your band mates. Good luck with it for sure.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m totally content playing on the side. Happy to have a day job! Call my crazy, but I wouldn’t want to rely on music full time these days. Even if I were young enough to start over...glad that I didn’t go down that path.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Sounds like you got your head on straight and heck man I don’t blame you for going for it (hell, I did) just sharing my experience and why. Also sounds like you have a good thing going with your band mates. Good luck with it for sure.
Thanks and I appreciate your candor. It's had its ups and downs but so far it's been very good to me. I've had opportunities from this that I'd never have had if I was in a regular job instead, plus the free time I have now is wonderful for raising and bonding with my kid.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did back in the 70s,full time drummer for 5 yrs,6 nights a wk,gigs were plentiful but pay low,so after that went back to a job and made drumming a side hustle.

Latest posts