R&B & Hip Hop Drummers

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember buying the Arrested Development Unplugged CD when I was like 13 maybe and their drummer/s were Ju Ju House according to wiki, that was awesome. I also saw Gerald Heyward play with Blackstreet on MTV back in like 1997 or something. That was my introduction to, I guess, modern R&B/HipHop drumming. High tight snares, splash cymbal accents, playing over the bar line and what not. I dug it.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Dave. Any of the guys who played with Mint Condition.
Also great to see Bubba Bryant mentioned.
I keep having discussions with people about Chris Dave. And I'll just say it... A lot of my musician friends, drummers included, do not really listen that much to him, if at all. I listen to a lot of modern guys. Marcus Gilmour, Eric Harland, Kendrick Scott. Mark Colenberg, Justin Tyson. Et al.

I should say I " try" to listen to them... But the music doesn't hold me. I try and extract the ideas, the phrasing, the concepts. But after a while, it's not just the music that doesn't old me, but the drumming is just spewing a series of repetitive notes. Chops that don't really move me.

Chris Dave ? He's got a concept, he's got a sound, he's got ideas. And generally, the situations I hear him in are more to my liking musicially. I just really love the way he plays. When he plays Dilla ITS FOR A REASON. When he plays his Tony Allen, IT"S FOR A REASON. not just " cause".

Plus I like his sound, it's wide, it's fat. A lot of the jazz guys sound sooo small to me. I can't feel any passion. I can't hear ( or feel) the lineage, what they took from Blakey, Tony, Elvin.

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I keep having discussions with people about Chris Dave. And I'll just say it... A lot of my white musician friends, drummers included, do not really listen that much to him, if at all. I listen to a lot of modern guys. Marcus Gilmour, Eric Harland, Kendrick Scott. Mark Colenberg, Justin Tyson. Et al.

I should say I " try" to listen to them... But the music doesn't hold me. I try and extract the ideas, the phrasing, the concepts. But after a while, it's not just the music, but the drumming is just spewing a series of repetitive notes. Chops that don't really move me.

Chris Dave ? He's got a concept, he's got a sound, he's got ideas. And generally, the situations I hear him in are more to my liking musicially. I just really love the way he plays. When he plays Dilla ITS FOR A REASON. When he plays his Tony Allen, IT"S FOR A REASON. not just " cause".

Plus I like his sound, it's wide, it's fat. A lot of the jazz guys sound sooo small to me. I can't feel any passion. I can't hear ( or feel) the lineage, what they took from Blakey, Tony, Elvin.
My intro to Chris Dave was seeing him with Mos Def on Letterman. Absolutely adore this performance:

marc3k

Reaction score
I really love hiphop and listen to it very often - but nearly everytime I heard hiphop artists with a live band (including drummer), I was disappointed. In my opinion, it's really hard to reproduce the sound of the original recordings with an acoustic drum set. It always lacks something, which makes me appreciate the songs in the first place.
Questlove is one exception for me, but this is probably due to the way the original songs are based on his drums. He also sounds great in this d'Angelo show linked above!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Legend Jonathan Moffett.

His precision is scary, see how he hits the hh bell every time, even with his in-ear monitor issues.

Last edited:

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first time I heard of Chris Dave was when I saw him with Me'shell - they're both great.

I always think of JuJu house when someone mentions live hip hop drumming - he is a monster.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I keep having discussions with people about Chris Dave. And I'll just say it... A lot of my musician friends, drummers included, do not really listen that much to him, if at all. I listen to a lot of modern guys. Marcus Gilmour, Eric Harland, Kendrick Scott. Mark Colenberg, Justin Tyson. Et al.

I should say I " try" to listen to them... But the music doesn't hold me. I try and extract the ideas, the phrasing, the concepts. But after a while, it's not just the music that doesn't old me, but the drumming is just spewing a series of repetitive notes. Chops that don't really move me.

- Chris is a game changer.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Yeah but none of the above could hold a candle to the funky-dope groove sensations of Tyrone "Ziplock" Johnson. :rr:

Don't bother googling - it's just a name I made up. :laughing6: