R.I.P. Doctor John.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear this. My grandson loves Curious George. DJ sang its theme among many other things. I always thought of him and Leon Redbone as similar artists and now both are gone so close together.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He definitely found his own schtick/place.
One of my Ringo All Starr Band DVDs has Dr. John performing some of his hits -- a very good example of his stage presence.
RIP

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a loss. I saw him at NO Jazzfest several times and he was always great.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Check out his live album at Ronnie Scott's, great stuff, all the Doctor ordered.
One of a kind musical encyclopedia and story teller has left the planet.

not scott's, but live check out the rap after the solos.

DWFunk

Reaction score
Yes, the music world lost a legend. Never will be another like him. He epitomized Nawlins’ music. He even had his own vocabulary. My favorite was “Mos scocious”, meaning something was really cool or good. I was thinking about the first time I saw him perform live. It was a small club in Nashville called the “Exit/In”. A very hip place in the Vanderbilt University area. I understand it’s still there. This would have been around ’74-’75 when he had started the whole “Dr. John the Night Tripper” vibe. His band was on stage (which included the great John "Bee" Badanjek, original Mitch Ryder and the Detroit wheels drummer) ready to play when they asked if there was a doctor in the house. Then here he comes through the tables walking with his skull handled cane, headdress full of feathers, chicken bones around his neck, dipping into his “Gris-Gris” bag spreading dust (glitter) on his way to the stage. Those Tennesseans didn’t know what hit them.

He always had great drummers. Herman Ernst, for one. That's Zigaboo and the Meters on "Right Place, Wrong Time". Also, check out Freddy Staehle playing on his "Gumbo" album. In my opinion, Staehle was one of the first drummers to morph Second Line drumming into modern funk.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved his singing. He recorded two CDs later in life of all Standards. Killer.
Also, someone recently posted on YouTube a compilation video of many of his appearances on Letterman. Most of them also featured Paul and the band and guest artists. Great music!

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Our band opened for him at the Coach House probably 20 years ago. We walked past him in the upstairs hall after soundcheck. He was both intimidating and funky. You could feel the vibe as he walked with his crazy cane that had feathers and shrunken heads all over it. He "STRUTTED". What a bad ass. A musical genius. Such a Night on The Last Waltz is a favorite of mine.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still do not have the heart to tell my young grandson that the man who sings the Curious George theme has died. I did just discover his trombone player / arranger is from the school our daughter works at.

Last edited: