R.I.P. Joey Jordison

SKINZ

Reaction score

Joey Jordison, Slipknot’s founding drummer and co-writer of many of their biggest hits, died on Monday at the age of 46. A rep for his family said he died peacefully in his sleep but did not specify a cause of death.

“Joey’s death has left us with empty hearts and feelings of indescribable sorrow,” reads a statement from Jordison’s family. “To those that knew Joey, understood his quick wit, his gentle personality, giant heart, and his love for all things family and music. The family of Joey have asked that friends, fans, and media understandably respect our need for privacy and peace at this incredibly difficult time.” The family intends to hold a private funeral service.

Jordison was playing with a group of Des Moines, Iowa metalheads who called themselves the Pale Ones and later Meld when he suggested they change their name to Slipknot in 1995. Within a few years, the band’s lineup expanded to nine members who wore nightmarish masks, they fused metal and rap aggression in a way that placed them at the vanguard of the nu-metal explosion. Thanks to steady touring and explosive live shows on Ozzfest, their 1999 self-titled debut went double-platinum. Jordison’s neck-rattling rhythms and death-metal blastbeats were a crucial ingredient to the band’s sudden success.

This story is developing.

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never cried at a drummers passing until this one. One of the all-time greats.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terrible news. Too young and too talented. Sorry to hear this. RIP JJ

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow... that's too young.

Amazing drummer, Sic is a tune that just blows my mind whenever I hear it.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be crass, but do you think his signature Pearl snare will be worth more money now? Do you think Pearl will continue to sell it?

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Not to be crass, but do you think his signature Pearl snare will be worth more money now? Do you think Pearl will continue to sell it?
I'm sure Pearl will keep it in the lineup. I'd love to see a reissue of the one with the Slipknot logos, but we'll see. There are always gonna be people who jack up the prices of signature instruments made for artists that have died, just like the Vinnie Paul snare. Lucky I got mine for a good price because I've seen people asking as much as $1000 for the Vinnie Sig. I had a JJ Sig for a long time that served me very well.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll echo what someone said in one of the other threads - his playing didn't interest me, his music didn't interest me, his band didn't interest me and his personal life didn't interest me. Still, he was one of us - a drummer, and I'm sorry to see him go way too young. He was a huge influence to a lot of you on this forum, so to you my condolences.