R.I.P. Joey Jordison

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was never a big Slipknot fan but I remember them headlining the second stage of Ozzfest in 2004 and he could seriously play. R.I.P.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t name the first slipknot tune. But Joe was a huge influence on a generation of young drummers.
Watched a kit set up video on YT that’s a few years old now, Joey seemed like a down to earth guy that knew his gear and loved drumming.

Rapper Biz Markie and Cinderella guitarist Jeff LaBar passed over the last few weeks.
None of the three over age 60

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never really got into his playing, so I checked it out today. He was a monster drummer, played some sick stuff fast and powerful.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another one gone too young.
The jam band in heaven has got to be absolutely insane!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hated the music. I hated the band. I hated the costumes. I hated the theatrics, but I am saddened to hear about his death at such a young age. Condolences to his family.
There is honest "art" and trying too hard. My opinion is that he was part of honest art.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

I don't think they did anything different from what folks were... approaching on from a generation or more ago, it just came to this and they were notable in this respect.

These concepts don't change over ages, they just take different avenues.

Isn't that art?

Sprice

Reaction score
I understand the music isn't for everyone so this isolated drum track is a good example of how he created good drum parts playing for the song without overplaying. It's busy music but he knew enough to simplify some parts like the single note tom fills in the chorus.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I hated the music. I hated the band. I hated the costumes. I hated the theatrics, but I am saddened to hear about his death at such a young age. Condolences to his family.
I can't exactly define when it's too soon to express hate for someone's style of music, but I'd give it 24 hours.

853guy

Reaction score
RogersLudwig said:
I can't exactly define when it's too soon to express hate for someone's style of music, but I'd give it 24 hours.
Our children are 14, 10 and 10 respectively.

Personally, as a family, we are attempting to be more comfortable with decoupling the artist from the art, in which the former is defined by their moral and ethical choices, while the latter is always defined by aesthetics and cultural value.

In our house at least, it's never too early to express an opinion on the art, since it never says anything about the artist. That is, an opinion on art is highly inconsequential, since it changes nothing about the art, nor the artist.

Hence, art is always up for discussion. The artist's personal life always needs some degree of nuanced context. I appreciate not everyone will share that perspective.

To be fair, Jordison's death was the 26th. RogersLudwig's post is dated the 28th. Just sayin'.

Sprice

Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, saying you hate his band, his playing, his music, his life, etc. but here's my condolences is like going to a funeral and telling someone's family "I thought your kid was a douchebag but sorry for your loss."

853guy

Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, saying you hate his band, his playing, his music, his life, etc. but here's my condolences is like going to a funeral and telling someone's family "I thought your kid was a douchebag but sorry for your loss."
It's not at all the same. You're conflating the art for the artist (see post #19).

Saying you dislike someone's art ("your kid's band sucks" - expressing an opinion on aesthetics) is not the same as saying you dislike the person ("your kid is a douchebag" - expressing an opinion on their moral/ethical choices).

RogersLudwig said nothing about his life. Only his art. And for whatever it's worth, isn't at the funeral of anyone.

Sprice

Reaction score
It's not at all the same. You're conflating the art for the artist (see post #19).

Saying you dislike someone's art ("your kid's band sucks" - expressing an opinion on aesthetics) is not the same as saying you dislike the person ("your kid is a douchebag" - expressing an opinion on their moral/ethical choices).

RogersLudwig said nothing about his life. Only his art. And for whatever it's worth, isn't at the funeral of anyone.
Okay, then I'll revise what I said. "I thought your kid played terrible music but sorry for your loss." It still doesn't come across as noble as people think. No, this isn't a funeral but people here care about him and his music so why not show some respect and restraint within this community instead of feeling everyone needs to know every opinion.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
was this the guy with all the piercings? God that's sad

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My daughter turned me onto Slipknot about 10 years ago. She was 21 and I was 57 then. I liked some of their material. He had an amazing left hand. I was very impressed with his playing. We lost a member of our drumming community- Very Sad.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m biting my tounge so hard right now .
This is an unbelievable post .