R.I.P Moody Blues Drummer Graeme Edge (80)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Moody Blues drummer, co-founder Graeme Edge dead at 80

Posted: NOV 11, 2021 / 07:52 AM CST | Updated: NOV 11, 2021 / 09:14 AM CST

(NewsNation Now) — Graeme Edge, drummer and co-founding member of the Moody Blues has died, his family confirmed to NewsNation. He was 80.
The Moody Blues provided the soundtrack for much of the ’60s and ’70s, even though their biggest hit, “Your Wildest Dreams,” came with the help of the MTV era in the ’80s

The English musician was a member of the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame for his 50 years of work with the rock band, providing their imaginative rhythms and memorable spoken word.

Edge retired from touring in 2018 and was the only founding member continuously in the band since the mid-1960s.

The orchestral backdrop which was the core of the band’s sound cast a wide net of influence in the ’70s and ’80s, fueling the bands Yes, Genesis during the Peter Gabriel years and Electric Light Orchestra. Listen to Yes’ “Owner of a Lonely Heart” and you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a Moody Blues tune.

There are ongoing debates between Pink Floyd and Moody Blues fans as to who influenced whom, but it’s likely they were simply drinking from the same creative spring.

As production costs have been trimmed and the nature of the music business has changed, the Moodys’ influence has waned, but audiophiles still use their early works to test out new sound systems to make sure they’re catching every note properly.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/entertainment-news/graeme-edge-dead/

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sad.....The soundtrack of our youth especially In Search of the Lost Chord Album thru Long Distance Voyager....

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I saw the Moody Blues in concert during the late 70s.
Graeme's drum solo was outstanding and the most exciting portion of their show to me.

Last edited:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
The Moodies were my gateway into music, the first band that grabbed me and began a 45 year journey. Days of Future Passed and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour were the two albums that introduced me to them, the first a Classic, career defining album and the second one of their lesser known efforts but a great one nonetheless. Graeme wasn’t a technician, but he played with heart and taste. I can still recite his soliloquy after “Nights in White Satin” word for word. He was, judging from the interviews that I’ve seen, a humorous, like able man. RIP.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lonely kid ,cross legged on his mattress watching night turn into a cold grey dawn , the Moody Blues guiding him to a soft landing . A girlfriend turned him on to this band and a whole lot more too .

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw them live in November of 1968. They started their set with "Ride My See Saw" and played nothing but sheer magic for the next hour. RIP, Graeme.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very inspirational through the 60's and 70's. Graeme's live playing here on French TV (1968) is very personal. Good up close view of his drumming. RIP.
My favorite on this track is "Peak Hour" at time 35:05....and his lead ins at 38:50 and 40:30. Those Ludwigs and cymbals took a pounding.

Last edited:

KingLudwig

Reaction score
The thing I dislike about these notices, tributes & obituaries is NOT ONE mentioned that Graeme was co-inventor of the first electronic drum! Let alone the fact that he was the first to record it. Moody Blues 1971 release, " Every Good Boy Deserves Favour."

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer. What a great band. I saw them in the early 90s at the Universal Amphitheater in LA and it was an incredible show. The whole band was tight and sounded great......RIP.....

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
The thing I dislike about these notices, tributes & obituaries is NOT ONE mentioned that Graeme was co-inventor of the first electronic drum! Let alone the fact that he was the first to record it. Moody Blues 1971 release, " Every Good Boy Deserves Favour."

I had no clue. And I'd bet many others didn't either. Thanks for bringing it to all of our attention. Few of us are drummer biographers. I just liked the way he played with the Moody Blues and the influences that had on my playing.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Isn't the advantage of a forum that anyone can contribute special knowledge on any subject?

From "Brief History of Electronic Drums":

1971 – Drummer for the band The Moody Blues, Graeme Edge, is credited with creating the first electronic drumkit, working with a professor from Sussex University, Brian Groves. Their invention is first heard on the track ‘Procession’ from the Moody Blues’ 1971 album ‘Every Good Boy Deserves Favour’. The kit was not marketed due to it being difficult and expensive to build and being prone to mechanical failure.

Brief History of Electronic Drums – Part 1 | The Electric Drum (wordpress.com)

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moody Blues drummer, co-founder Graeme Edge dead at 80

Posted: NOV 11, 2021 / 07:52 AM CST | Updated: NOV 11, 2021 / 09:14 AM CST

(NewsNation Now) — Graeme Edge, drummer and co-founding member of the Moody Blues has died, his family confirmed to NewsNation. He was 80.
The Moody Blues provided the soundtrack for much of the ’60s and ’70s, even though their biggest hit, “Your Wildest Dreams,” came with the help of the MTV era in the ’80s

The English musician was a member of the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame for his 50 years of work with the rock band, providing their imaginative rhythms and memorable spoken word.

Edge retired from touring in 2018 and was the only founding member continuously in the band since the mid-1960s.

The orchestral backdrop which was the core of the band’s sound cast a wide net of influence in the ’70s and ’80s, fueling the bands Yes, Genesis during the Peter Gabriel years and Electric Light Orchestra. Listen to Yes’ “Owner of a Lonely Heart” and you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a Moody Blues tune.

There are ongoing debates between Pink Floyd and Moody Blues fans as to who influenced whom, but it’s likely they were simply drinking from the same creative spring.

As production costs have been trimmed and the nature of the music business has changed, the Moodys’ influence has waned, but audiophiles still use their early works to test out new sound systems to make sure they’re catching every note properly.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/entertainment-news/graeme-edge-dead/

The Moody Blues have always been a band where the whole seems greater than the parts. Beautiful melodies. Memorable songs. Music that lives on, and will live on, long after other bands disappear from memory. // skf

LarryG

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw it on Billy Ashbaugh's page.

A true loss :(
Absolutely inspiring band, each and all the members of Moody. First saw them night Janis Joplin died. They dedicated
Knights in White Satin to her and I thought Mike Pinter was going to push himself right into his flute. Will never forget that
sight nor the great influence instilled on me, as a drummer.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very inspirational through the 60's and 70's. Graeme's live playing here on French TV (1968) is very personal. Good up close view of his drumming. RIP.
My favorite on this track is "Peak Hour" at time 35:05....and his lead ins at 38:50 and 40:30. Those Ludwigs and cymbals took a pounding.

This is brilliant, and if it were all we had of his playing, it would still be a mighty testament to it. He expresses and plays the music perfectly - which, of course makes the music more perfect and is all that's needed. His technique is, let's admit it, not very good, but it was what was being called for in the "new rock era." Fine jazz drummers need not apply. It's out of Ringo, I'm sure, but not as refined. Downright barbaric at times, and I don't know how he did it without hurting himself. I find it endearingly odd that such an otherwise EXTREMELY refined band - that singing, those flutes, the melodies! - had such a drummer. But I know that any criticisms of his technique don't matter. What matters is that Graeme Edge was an integral part of that band and gave it his sound. He absolutely had an ear for all that refinement. You can see that he knows these songs inside and out. The camera and all of the stage focus seem to go him before the song starts, and not just for the count-off; he seems to provide a direction and energy for what's happening next. And we know that he sure knew how to record with that band. I treasure my 5-6 Moody Blues albums. Most of them are part of my musical formation.

Also notable is the bashed and smashed kit and (Super Zyn?) cymbals, Supra acne beyond the beyond, heads thrashed to the point that the 13" tom is upside down, I'd almost guess because the top head would be even more wrecked. And they're on TV! Groovy good looking young French people dancing very well to...art rock? Very un-slick. What a delight!

Thank you, Mr. Edge.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw them twice in 1981, in June then later in August of the same tour. Awesome shows except they played an identical setlist.

Whats nice of these old videos is you can actually view whats going on...a few seconds or more in each shot....of the bassists hand, or the drummer playing a ride cymbal etc.....
The microsecond shots that flip from one player to another common in modern band videos give me a headache and I can't study anybody for more than blink of an eye.