Rack owners stage question

RockrGrl

Reaction score
For those of you that own a rack for your drums, how do you get them on and off stage if you are not the only band, without help from band mates?
I'm wondering if putting a temp caster under one leg support to roll them on stage might work?
Thoughts?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like your idea about the caster as long as you can lock it.

I had a multi piece rack and it would be two trips to the trailer.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
I was thinking about a castor like they have under grand piano legs? But just one, some maybe I'll have to make a small type of platform to attach the castor too? Put one leg on that and then roll the whole thing out on stage? Remove the castor before playing of course.

Christopher

Reaction score
I do the same as Paul. However, if you are playing a multi band gig, one band (normally the headliner) will usually provide the backline (drums, bass and guitar amps) and you'll only need to bring your snare, cymbals, and maybe your pedal and throne.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
I do the same as Paul. However, if you are playing a multi band gig, one band (normally the headliner) will usually provide the backline (drums, bass and guitar amps) and you'll only need to bring your snare, cymbals, and maybe your pedal and throne.
lol! Well that ain't going to work since I ONLY play e-kits. :)

Yes I was thinking of moving the rack sans drums/cymbals.

I weighted 1 of my racks last night
IMG-3865.jpg
35 pounds. And 1 10" tom weighs 7.4 pounds. :(

Last edited:

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like to do it like this:

First the kick, then the front rack section, then the sides of the rack, then the toms & snares (and mahbe eletronics if they are needed), then the cymbals, then the mocs, and finally the throne.

If everything is memory locked, it should take no more then 5 minutes if you have everything ready close to the stage.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
So your rack isn't one piece?
\
rack.jpg

I can load mine with all drums/cymbals and myself and 1 other person can carry it on stage. Because its awkward and and weighs in excess of 70 lbs.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
That caster is meant for use with a t-leg, the horizontal 'foot' that rack users employ for added stability, so you'll need two of them unless the upper part swivels, and it doesn't look like it does.

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can you put castors at each leg to make it easiest to roll in and out? This way you don't have to mess with the hassle and time for taking a castor on and off and it feels like it might be awkward trying to roll with just 1 castor.

You could put cupped rubber pads, that are used for bedframes with castors, under the castors once the rack is set in place if desired.

This is assuming you can lower the horizontal bars on the rack down to compensate for the additional few inches of height the rack will gain with castors and pads.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Yes that would be the problem, the castors raise the height of the kit. :(
Personally I wouldn't want them there while playing, I think they look tacky. But to move the rack, no problem.

pbloxam

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I fold my rack and leave all the arms on it...When we get to the gig, my band mates help me lift it on stage, pop the cymbals and Tom's on it, slide basdrum underneath and wait to get mic'd up..
It is pretty heavy...

Attachments

• 20180819_100219.jpg
    20180819_100219.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 57

Jim Raleigh

Reaction score
For those of you that own a rack for your drums, how do you get them on and off stage if you are not the only band, without help from band mates?
I'm wondering if putting a temp caster under one leg support to roll them on stage might work?
Thoughts?

The Answer is 5" Stemmed Locking Casters that fit up in the bottom of the stand leg... Like So..... I built this rack for my 1992 Pearl Session Elite Kit in Piano Black Lacquer. 18 Drums, 23 Cymbals, Effect cymbals, Cowbells, Windchimes, Gong, and Roland SPD-11 with additional Triggers. I have multiple kits and they are all on racks with casters.

I build my drum racks on 5" Locking Casters and the rack stays fully assembled and fully mic'd (except that the Snare mics which hang in Crown Royal bags for transport until mounted on the snare). The mics (all Sennheisers) are wired to a 24-Channel Patchbay for hookup to the PA snake. I use 2 Drum Cases that I had custom design that also lay down to form a drum riser. For setup, I just open up the rack and hang drums and cymbals... DONE!!! Very fast setup and tear down... The Rack and Cases shown in the pic below...

Attachments

• Z Drum Rack Views.png
    Z Drum Rack Views.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 1992 Pearl Session Elite Kit Piano Black Lacquer - Sharp 3.JPG
    1992 Pearl Session Elite Kit Piano Black Lacquer - Sharp 3.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Z Drums Cases & Rack.png
    Z Drums Cases & Rack.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 78

RockrGrl

Reaction score
The Answer is 5" Stemmed Locking Casters that fit up in the bottom of the stand leg... Like So..... I built this rack for my 1992 Pearl Session Elite Kit in Piano Black Lacquer. 18 Drums, 23 Cymbals, Effect cymbals, Cowbells, Windchimes, Gong, and Roland SPD-11 with additional Triggers. I have multiple kits and they are all on racks with casters.

I build my drum racks on 5" Locking Casters and the rack stays fully assembled and fully mic'd (except that the Snare mics which hang in Crown Royal bags for transport until mounted on the snare). The mics (all Sennheisers) are wired to a 24-Channel Patchbay for hookup to the PA snake. I use 2 Drum Cases that I had custom design that also lay down to form a drum riser. For setup, I just open up the rack and hang drums and cymbals... DONE!!! Very fast setup and tear down... The Rack and Cases shown in the pic below...
Very cool! What kind of vehicle do you transport this in?