Rack tom ergonomics

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm just under 6ft tall, skinny, long legs, and I think because i have long arms i tend to sit away from the snare.

When i try to add and position a rack tom, i feel i'm always having to reach a little too much for the rack and consequently it puts me a little off balance.

Anyone else struggle with this ? do you raise the tom up or keep it low ? Maybe i should try to move closer to the snare ?
Thanks for any tips and thoughts.
Michael

Last edited:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Yep. I'm 6'5" with very long legs. I have to sit way back from the bass drum, and I can't reach the rack tom, especially because most of the drum makers put the mount way toward the front of the bass drum.

I solved the problem with a Tama sliding tom holder, which moves about 2" frontwards or backwards. I can bring the tom in close. It's an awkward looking holder, and it's heavy, but it works. It has a 1" down tube, so it fits a lot of other brands.

Unfortunately, I think Tama quit making them. All you can do is use a snare stand for your tom, or hang it off your left cymbal stand. I hate both those options.

Attachments

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try sitting higher and closer to the snare. I should let your arm land the snare comfortably and make it so you don't have to reach across the room for the rack.

I'm only 5'10" but I'm built weird. My arms and legs are really long and my torso is short and barrel. My hips are higher than most of my 6 ish foot friends. I find sitting higher helps me out with leg room.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm 6'9" and have found it easier to place my rack tom in a comfortable position by using a snare stand rather than mounting it on my bass drum. It also allows me to offset the tom more to my left than if it were mounted on the bass drum.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a weird body too - short & fat! I sit with my legs at about a 45 degree angle (HH & bass) and the snare in between so the three are comfortable. I then position the rack tom (usually one, a 12 or rarely a 13), and the ride to the right. This way, I don't have to reach for anything. If, holding your stick and your arms are extended, you can't reach the middle of each drum or the ride bell, things are too far away......

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know some don't like the looks of racks but they let you position the drums pretty much any where you want.
Might be an option if you don't mind a rack.
Wayne

MCP

Reaction score
The toms are on stands with the center of the toms pretty much directory over the batter side bass drum hoop, or a few inches closer. Got a virgin bass drum by chance as that was what the first kit bought had, and now it seems to be for the best as the toms are closer than a bass drum mount. Second set also the same setup.

Ptrick

Reaction score
My back can’t handle twisting very well from a previous disc injury in my lower thoracic, so I was forced years ago to get the toms in a comfortable place separate from the bass drum mount. So I’ve used either a stand, rack, or my new favorite the Gibraltar “stealth” racks to get them right where I need them. I understand this is a different reason than the OP, but definitely look at other options to get the toms exactly where you want them.
FD17617F-676B-416A-96EC-A752226B3EFB.jpeg

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Set up your kit without a snare. Position your rack toms where they make the most sense and can be easily reached, then see if the space left for your snare works. I think that sometimes, the toms are placed as an afterthought and while admittedly, the snare is more important, the entire kit set up is a dance of compromises based on many factors.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My back can’t handle twisting very well from a previous disc injury in my lower thoracic, so I was forced years ago to get the toms in a comfortable place separate from the bass drum mount. So I’ve used either a stand, rack, or my new favorite the Gibraltar “stealth” racks to get them right where I need them. I understand this is a different reason than the OP, but definitely look at other options to get the toms exactly where you want them. View attachment 394865
I love your kit. I have some older stage custome in this same color

Old Drummer

Reaction score
For most of my drumming career I used a separate tom stand (doubles toms usually) and either preferred that or just got used to it. Now that I'm easing back into drumming and my kit has a bass drum tom mount (while I'm too cheap to buy a stand) I too find getting the toms adjusted frustrating. It just seems that with a separate stand I could set everything up more to my liking.

However, a benefit of a bass drum tom mount is the weight it adds to the bass drum, which in turn prevents the bass from moving forward. I used to rope my bass drum to my throne, now I don't have to.

Also, I periodically wonder how much of my setting up drums is neurotic anxiety rather than functional help. I'm real finicky about where everything is placed, and don't want anything to be more than 1/2" off of where I like it. But then I'll play somebody else's drums configured and set up differently with no problem, and when playing my own things can move around without that bothering me.

I'm not saying the concern of the OP isn't legitimate (and I suspect a separate stand is the solution) only saying that I think I'm personally too finicky about these things and periodically tell myself just to play the things where they are and not fret about it.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I am short but I find that the more angle I put on the tom the easier it feels to reach (to a point.) Something maybe about how much my elbows need to move I think.
I kinda like it more flat but my friend has his farther away but angled pretty hard and I have no problem reaching his easily.