Radio King floor Tom, maple interior? Any ideas?

SeanBonham

Reaction score
Found a pretty good matching floor tom for my 30’s Radio King kit. Got some good photos. Looks to be in good condition, but I’ve never seen one with a maple interior. Always seen mahogany interiors on them. Does this look correct?

Attachments

SKSMITH

Reaction score
With those wide re-rings, it looks legit to me. Back then, they may have just grabbed a maple sheet when throwing the ply's into the shell mold. May have been a late Friday or Monday morning, who knows.
Looks like a nice floor tom to me.
Steve

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree with you both. Weird! I have one some where that the mahogany is lighter than normal but I agree that looks like maple to me too.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Single RK floor toms from the 30's and 40's don't last long. I've been on the lookout for one and if you delay just a bit....they're gone. A lot of kits out there are "missing" a floor tom or never came with one. Interesting cracked lug on that one.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Single RK floor toms from the 30's and 40's don't last long. I've been on the lookout for one and if you delay just a bit....they're gone. A lot of kits out there are "missing" a floor tom or never came with one. Interesting cracked lug on that one.
Early RK lugs tended to do that under the right conditions. I have a 13" and a 16" floor tom with the pre beavertail lugs that I picked up at a garage sale for $12 in the 80's and all of the lugs on the 16" were cracked like that and a couple on the 13" had similar cracking. The pot metal that they used on those early was not very good and was very brittle. I think exposure to moisture would cause them to deteriorate and crack.