Radio King .... opinions ?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score

This has been off and on again for many months . The way he rationilizes those missing brackets irritates me .

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pics date from 2016 so seller has been trying to flog it a while. Pretty ballsy to describe as mint.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Please note that Japan has forced the increase in worldwide prices for vintage musical instruments and the prices are NOT my fault. Blame Japan for the hyperinflation! "

That's just about the funniest excuses for a ridiculous asking price that I have ever seen in an online ad.

$829 US seems way overpriced. If the oval badge is actually the one that he shows a generic picture of then it is a '51 drum so it not that old. Overall the drum looks quite nice but the missing gates will be $150 to $200 US and are probably harder to get and more expensive in Canada so that should automatically be deducted from the asking price. Missing the original snare wires too so that is another markdown. I personally wouldn't give more than $350 to $400 US for it compared to what complete ones go for on ebay.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also his “blame Japan” line, apart from being tasteless, is literally 20 years out of date. Japanese purchasers inflated prices significantly—in the late 90s. Then they had an economic slowdown and collapse. So hauling that line out today is baloney.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
How many aren't aware of the way in which an extended wire assembly can significantly increase a drum's response and clarity . Those brackets and the original wire lengths are decisive in producing the Radio King sound . This seller is hoping to capitalize on the mythology of the name , he/she is under the impression that others are as uninformed as he/she is .

I oughtta be careful here, I might know the seller ....

Last edited:

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
^ I would say maybe 25%. Maybe 10% chance to the point unplayable.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
He seems to go on quite a bit..who is he trying to convince? Himself? The drum, and it's condition should speak for itself..low ball the guy..he may be tired of sitting on it and decide "what the heck"

Latest posts