Radio King painted snare hardware?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it at all possible that the black paint on this throw and butt are original? It’s flaking just enough that I’ll probably remove it, but it seems too well-applied to be an average user’s mod.

Thanks in advance - hope you’re all having a great week!

4041BC90-3F7F-48A8-B1ED-88807B63E166.jpeg
6F751B9A-9A51-4544-B63B-73A968696738.jpeg

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you find your RK lugs yet?
Yes, I ended up going with repros from DFD. I’ve ordered from them a number of times and they are really great folks to deal with. I only live an hour from them but I’ve never been to their warehouse!

Someone messaged me on Facebook with a set of period-correct beavertails but they were twice as much as the repros. I got the new lugs, mounting screws, and tension rods from DFD for less than what the FB guy wanted for just the lugs. More importantly for me though, I decided to go new for the stability and peace of mind when I’m playing it.

Cheers!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully your lugs will have the identical foot print. When I went looking for repro-lugs on my 1930's RK I found out the new lugs are actually shorter....so they would leave an entirely new imprint on the drum. Not for me.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, I ended up going with repros from DFD. I’ve ordered from them a number of times and they are really great folks to deal with. I only live an hour from them but I’ve never been to their warehouse!

Someone messaged me on Facebook with a set of period-correct beavertails but they were twice as much as the repros. I got the new lugs, mounting screws, and tension rods from DFD for less than what the FB guy wanted for just the lugs. More importantly for me though, I decided to go new for the stability and peace of mind when I’m playing it.

Cheers!
Cool.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hopefully your lugs will have the identical foot print. When I went looking for repro-lugs on my 1930's RK I found out the new lugs are actually shorter....so they would leave an entirely new imprint on the drum. Not for me.
I understand. The repros arrived a few days ago (DFD is quick). I lined up the lugs with the shell holes and they are a nice fit. In comparing the size of the repros to the size of the existing original lugs, the repros are maybe a hair smaller, but this shouldn't present a visual problem against the shell, as I haven't seen any significant lug lines left behind. I'm more concerned about the big Gretsch lugs that are currently on there. I haven't taken them off yet so I don't know if they left a significant impression or not. Busy couple of weeks coming up so I'll be chipping away at this project a little at a time, so I guess we'll see!