Rail mount hardware

anthonyfossaluzza

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m trying to make this ole rail mount whole again. I am not sure these are the correct bottom parts compared to the rail, does this look right? The rail has the large threaded counter sunk holes for the flat head screws. Also, I need the carriage bolt for the clock part on the top. Does anyone know the thread off the top of their head?

I need a source for these parts if you guys know of one, or if you have some sitting around, PM me?
image.jpg

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks correct.
The bolts that hold the rail to the mounts are just that, bolts, not screws.
And I have gotten chrome carriage bolts from my local ace hardware. They would have used a nut as opposed to a wingnut which I got in chrome also.
I can go through my parts when I get home and see what I have.
You have been absent for a while!

anthonyfossaluzza

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg
See how big the hole is for the rail? I had one like this in the past and it took a big flat head screw. Both of the rail holes are large and don’t thread onto the screw and it’s screwed into the bottom part. The top hole is much larger and countersunk. I looked at all my other rails and each one is different.

anthonyfossaluzza

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been buying drums like I used too! I went to school, got a big boy job, had kids, etc. A while back, when I would look at this site, I would get all these crazy spam pop ups and I stopped coming. I’ve been lurking around here and there. I still have my nice drums too!

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked my rails also. I have a couple of the two bolt which are totally different and one of the four bolt Ludwig which is like yours, has the screws!
I know I have extra carriage bolts for the Ludwig, I just need to go through my stash. I could find out the thread size on the screws if you need, let me know.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't have one handy to check but it is most likely a countersunk head 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 that holds the rail bar to the mounts. Possibly the fine version of those either 1/4-28 or 5/16-24 but more likely the normal "coarse" thread. I think the brackets are threaded. If not then the bolt passes thru and you put a nut underneath. The design changed thru the years so there are variations as to how it all goes together.

Any good hardware store should carry those.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Took a look at one of mine. It's a 1/4-20 countersunk bolt with a flathead (single slot) top. The bolt looks to be about 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" in overall length and there is a nut on the underside of the shell bracket holding it in place. You should be able to find such an animal at any reasonably well stocked "old school" hardware store.

1/4-20 Slotted Oval Head Countersunk Machine Screw Stainless Steel 18-8 All Size | eBay

It's actually called an oval headed screw which is a countersunk screw with a slightly rounded head. Either will work but Oval headed is correct.

This Reverb auction has some good pictures.

https://reverb.com/item/6384603-ludwig-782-consolete-rail-mount-tom-holder-nickel-finish-1962

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind, you dont "have" to use the correct screws. If you want to save $ just go to Home Depo and get two stove bolts and nuts for a few cents that will fit. Wont look 100% authentic, but will work.