Random cymbal rework

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I just acquired a 22” “1960s” zildjian ride at 3549g so I’m told by the person I traded with. But I’m having a hard time believing it. Given the weird machine hammering pattern on the top and there’s no stamp at all. I mentioned it to the guy later on and he said not all older zildjians had stamps. Something about the ones with gretsch and other drum companies? What do you guys think. I don’t believed it’s a zildjian at all tried to get a couple more pics

Attachments

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading that site and checking the cymbal for any clue on a stamp with magnify glass and flash light. There’s no patina this has me so baffled.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading that site and checking the cymbal for any clue on a stamp with magnify glass and flash light. There’s no patina this has me so baffled.
That cymbal looks cleaned/ polished to me. Any chance it's a Zildjian " Second" is there an S stamped in it anywhere?

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That cymbal looks cleaned/ polished to me. Any chance it's a Zildjian " Second" is there an S stamped in it anywhere?
I can’t find a single marking anywhere. The guy claims it didn’t have a engraved stamp and just a ink stamp saying medium. Weight seems heavy for a medium. It’s polished for sure. The rotary hammering is rectangular. And is still there towards the edges but not as pronounced as the upper bow. The bottom look like it has had hand hammering done.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone went crazy with a buffer wheel and took off the already lightweight 70s stamp while giving it the polished look.
Not sure it’s super heavy tho. Not the super ping heavy from today’s heavy rides more gongy if that makes sense. Might try and take 1000 grams off it on the lathe.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Only other thing I could find with that rectangular rotary hammering was a scimitar? But this doesn’t seem to be one of those?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's so polished or brilliant you can't see the details in those photos. Another option is re-lathing.....which will take away the remains of a stamp. A lot more Zildjians are getting that treatment these days.
Scimitars do have the most obvious rotary "rectangular" hammering. But some of the A's from the 70's and 80's have that look too.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ya this one def has it I’ll try to get some better pics

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just acquired a 22” “1960s” zildjian ride at 3549g so I’m told by the person I traded with. But I’m having a hard time believing it. Given the weird machine hammering pattern on the top and there’s no stamp at all. I mentioned it to the guy later on and he said not all older zildjians had stamps. Something about the ones with gretsch and other drum companies? What do you guys think. I don’t believed it’s a zildjian at all tried to get a couple more pics
I think someone took to a hammer after it was bought. Probably pounded the stamp-mark in the process. Ask for your money back, lots of doubts. Burn down his house if he refuses a refund!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think someone took to a hammer after it was bought. Probably pounded the stamp-mark in the process. Ask for your money back, lots of doubts. Burn down his house if he refuses a refund!
Eh I’ve hammered enough cymbals to know someone didn’t just hammer this. I’m cool with it as it was a trade. Just trying to figure out if it is indeed a zildjian or not. For a piece of mind. Been researching since I got home a couple hours ago. Def so confused.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the bell doesn't have the right profile for any Z. I'd say Chinese.
That’s what I was thinking. The bell
Is huge I thought maybe a early wuhan s series. It has that gongy sound I’ve heard a lot from Chinese cymbals. But the rectangular rotary hammering seems weird for a Chinese cymbal?

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the rotary thing on Chinese too. Maybe no way to know for sure.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So a friend emailed me saying it could be a sabian hh heavy ride? But again no sabian stamp