Random musings - Popularity of the 22 ?

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a fascinating thread. Like a previous poster, I too thought 20’s were the standard growing up and a 22” just felt massive. I know a lot of drummers that barely think of their cymbals. Most of them are playing 20” and one of my buds is playing an 18”. And then there’s people like us... It’s like what a different previous poster said: People who like cymbals like big cymbals. There has to be something to that.

For the sake of the argument, Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon and John Bonham all played big cymbals. Maybe not all the time, but at some point in their famous bands’ histories, they did. I see a lot of 20’s out there too when I do research, but a hell of a lot of 22’s too.

My movement into a 22” had to do with wanting darker sounding crashes, which lead to “needing” a lower pitched ride... I could happily play a 20” though if I found some great crashes to pair with it. 20” would also be my choice for a 1 cymbal set up.

Targalx

Reaction score
I was a 20" ride player for a while. My first exposure to the 22" was in high school jazz band, the school's drumkit had a 22" Paiste 505 Heavy Ride and 17" 505 Medium Crash. When playing alongside 5 trumpets, 4 trombones and 5 saxes, the 22" swing pattern really cut through nicely. I bought a 22" Paiste 3000 Reflector Power Ride shortly thereafter and played 22"s almost exclusively, until recently when a newer project necessitated a less pingy and cutting sound -- hence the re-entry of the 20" for me. I still prefer the 22" overall, it just fits my kit better and I've gotten used to its placement between my kick drum and floor tom.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I read the title and it said "22", I almost immediately thought it was about bass drums.

My first ever ride cymbal was an 18" Zildjian mini-cup. Never did it for me, washed out too easily. Then, I grabbed a 22" A Ping in '82 or so, which I have to this day. Now, I used to play 2 ride cymbals a la Cobham or Ian Mosley of Marillion. What was amazing is my buddy bringing over his 20" A Medium ride and finding it was the 22"'s CLONE in every way. That changed my impression of what size does or doesn't mean.

Later, when I began more gigging and finding that space is a premium in some places, the 20" just seemed like a more reasonable size. I have an occasional 21", but the 22" is now semi-retired.

Dan

tripp2k

Reaction score
I like a big ride I cannot lie. Would love a 24 with great stick definition and wobbles like a maniac when crashed. :thumbup:

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think kits are getting smaller (Bop Kits), and venues getting smaller. Hence, IMO, the real estate calls for a 20" and smaller, though I still have both, seem to use the 20" more.

I think 22's had their home in rock arenas and dual kick setups. Maybe it's my age, but I seem to enjoy my small 4 drum setup with smaller cyms

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too noticed that 22" rides have become more prevalent. I still stick with 20"s, they work for me. I also find 18" as large as I need to go with crashes.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone mentions pre-pack, those still seem to be 14/16/20 most of the time. 22" seems like an upgrade from that. I know of one well-know jazz drummer who said he played 20" old Ks first becuase they were more affordable. He's using much larger sizes now. Not sure the sound is that much better. The right 20" can be all you need to listen to the whole night, not even a LSR needed.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like em all; taking weight into consideration, it’s a balancing act between pitch and volume. My quietest ride and my loudest ride are both 20’s, with the louder one being heavier and higher pitched; my most “medium” ride is a 22.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like odd ball sizing
21" rides and 6x13 snare drums. 22" ride is as big as I would want.

China- 20" max, crashes 18-19" maybe a 20"

Just no 23" bass drum :happy3:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I started paying attention to gear & started “upgrading” my entry level cymbals in 89/90 the “standard” cymbal set ups all seemed to be 14” hats, 16” crash and a 20” ride. If you had the money you added an 18” crash. My hats & crashes got upgraded first and I intended to get a 20” ride to match but the shop I was buying my cymbals from only had a 22” in the brand/price range I wanted. I reluctantly took the 22” (was a 22” Paiste 2000 power ride) and played it for several years before trading it for a 20” Paiste 3000 ride. While I liked a lot of things about that 20” I missed the lower pitch and the feel of the 22”. I’ve been hooked on 22’s ever since.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I've yet to meet the 20" ride that speaks to me, but have 3 22s that do. Go figga...
I did. I have a 20" K Custom Dry. Love it Love it Love it! 3000 + grams of pingy joy. It wont crash for love or money. I bought a 60" vintage 22" Avedis in July. Haven't played the K since. I am sure the honeymoon will be over once i get the coin to drop on a 22" K Con, or if the stars align and I win the lottery, some vintage K's.

Last edited:

Latest posts