Ranking Tom Petty's Drummers

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Tom Petty certainly was good a picking great drummers. Let me know what you think about my favorites:

1. Stan Lynch (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)

2. Dave Grohl (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - SNL Jan. 19, 1994... They were Laurel Canyon neighbors!)

3. Ringo Starr (Wildflowers -- To Find a Friend)

4. Buster Sidebury (The Travelling Wilburys)

5. Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and solo)

6. Phil Jones (Full Moon Fever)

7. Randall Marsh (Mudcrutch)

8. Jim Keltner (Drums, maracas and tambourine on "Love Is a Long Road")

Attachments

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's on the making of the record show for Damn the Torpedos Tom says something like "we heard this shaking sound, I opened the door and there was Keltner with a shaker....he always had a shaker with him"

Breakdown7

Reaction score
Stan is the man. In my eyes, the only natural Heartbreaker. I love Steve Ferrone and the pocket in his grooves, but he doesn't have the swing and feel of Stan...something I've always missed since he left the band.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of Steve Ferrone. Huge. And yet, nobody did it like Stan. That feel. It's there. The rest are good to excellent, but Stan is the only one I'll seriously talk about.

Songwriters have a special relationship with their drummers, in my opinion.
Like Billy Joel with Liberty DeVitto. That's it. It's there. Memorable patterns, signature fills that make the music come alive on some supernatural level.

Dan

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of Steve Ferrone. Huge. And yet, nobody did it like Stan. That feel. It's there. The rest are good to excellent, but Stan is the only one I'll seriously talk about.

Like Billy Joel with Liberty DeVitto. That's it. It's there. Memorable patterns, signature fills that make the music come alive on some supernatural level.

Dan
Big Ditto!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score

Dan
And Elton and Nigel. :)

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stan. As others have said, the rest are great drummers but Stan was the best with Petty. His best one IMO is Mary Jane's last dance which was the last song he recorded with the Heartbreakers. That song just has the greatest feel.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
when pete townshend was writing a song, he said could hear kieth playing it already. petty's songs were written for stan to play. i think many of heart's songs were written with derosier in mind too.

stan is the man, but tom did get some cool guys to play with him.

bonus points if you know the excellent band that phil jones played in.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
congratulations vistalite you've done the DFO impossible

1̶1̶ 12 out of 1̶6̶ 17 posts in agreement 4 not voting and 1 dissent
pop the champagne!

Last edited: