Ranking Tom Petty's Drummers

JimV

Reaction score
when pete townshend was writing a song, he said could hear kieth playing it already. petty's songs were written for stan to play. i think many of heart's songs were written with derosier in mind too.

stan is the man, but tom did get some cool guys to play with him.

bonus points if you know the excellent band that phil jones played in.
Are you talking about Crabby Appleton with drummer Phil Jones originally from Oskaloosa, Iowa? Phil has been on many, many Tom Petty albums playing percussion.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you talking about Crabby Appleton with drummer Phil Jones originally from Oskaloosa, Iowa? Phil has been on many, many Tom Petty albums playing percussion.

crabby appleton - winner!!!!!!!!!

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1. Stan
2. Stan
3. Stan

and so on. only Stan imo
I lost interest after that fiasco, although I eventually came around to appreciate TP's solo stuff, The Heartbreakers was never the same, for me anyway

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yea...kind of always thought of it as "The Heartbreakers" (with Stan of course), and then after that it was just "The Tom Petty Band" with the drummer of the week.

Appreciate the comments on the drummers feel and the songwriter. The importance of that creative relationship cannot be underestimated.

I was playing along to Tapestry (Carole King's monster hit album) this weekend. Russ Kunkel just KILLING every tune he played. When asked about preparing for the album he said that he asked Carole for the lyrics to the songs.... Not the charts, or the tempo-the lyrics. He stressed the importance of being able to identify with what the song was about, what the "feel" of the words was.....

When I first read that it blew my mind.... I have been "playing the lyrics" from day one and always thought I was a little 'weird' for doing so. I don't feel that way about my playing anymore...lol...

Oh, yea, Stan Lynch for the win....

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Tom Petty certainly was good a picking great drummers. Let me know what you think about my favorites:

1. Stan Lynch (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)

2. Dave Grohl (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - SNL Jan. 19, 1994... They were Laurel Canyon neighbors!)

3. Ringo Starr (Wildflowers -- To Find a Friend)

4. Buster Sidebury (The Travelling Wilburys)

5. Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and solo)

6. Phil Jones (Full Moon Fever)

7. Randall Marsh (Mudcrutch)

8. Jim Keltner (Drums, maracas and tambourine on "Love Is a Long Road")

Why, Stanley of course!!!
Ferrone may be technically better, but, even though he was a “member”, I’m sure he was a hired hand and wouldn’t dare ruffle feathers creatively the way Stan did. There from the beginning and was part of a band that grew from the beginning. Also like the comment about drumming for songwriters. Stan did a lot of cool fills and beats that a studio cat wouldn’t normally take the time to do. Also, totally agree with Liberty being THE guy for Billy Joel. I saw him 5 times with Joel and so much better than his replacement. You can tell when he joined, the albums were better. (sorry for the detour), GO STAN!

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Yea...kind of always thought of it as "The Heartbreakers" (with Stan of course), and then after that it was just "The Tom Petty Band" with the drummer of the week.

Appreciate the comments on the drummers feel and the songwriter. The importance of that creative relationship cannot be underestimated.

I was playing along to Tapestry (Carole King's monster hit album) this weekend. Russ Kunkel just KILLING every tune he played. When asked about preparing for the album he said that he asked Carole for the lyrics to the songs.... Not the charts, or the tempo-the lyrics. He stressed the importance of being able to identify with what the song was about, what the "feel" of the words was.....

When I first read that it blew my mind.... I have been "playing the lyrics" from day one and always thought I was a little 'weird' for doing so. I don't feel that way about my playing anymore...lol...

Oh, yea, Stan Lynch for the win....
Great post, never knew that, just always thought it was a great album, music, lyrics, arrangements, everything!
Russ Kunkel is a GREAT songwriters drummer.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Why, Stanley of course!!!
Ferrone may be technically better, but, even though he was a “member”, I’m sure he was a hired hand and wouldn’t dare ruffle feathers creatively the way Stan did. There from the beginning and was part of a band that grew from the beginning. Also like the comment about drumming for songwriters. Stan did a lot of cool fills and beats that a studio cat wouldn’t normally take the time to do. Also, totally agree with Liberty being THE guy for Billy Joel. I saw him 5 times with Joel and so much better than his replacement. You can tell when he joined, the albums were better. (sorry for the detour), GO STAN!
Five times! Did you ever notice how Joel describes a fashinon-loving lady in a very disparaging way in “Big Shot,” but celebrates his “Uptown Girl?”
Also, don’t you think BJ wasted a huge opportunity by never releasing a Christmas album as Billy Noel?

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stan 7 days a week and twice on Sunday! I have said this for years--no disrespect for Steve who is a wonderful MASTERFUL drummer for sure, but Stan just belongs in the Heartbreakers just like Liberty with BJ and Carlos and James Taylor. Even Gadd can't touch the feel Carlos had with James. Same with Stan

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stan for sure.
Don’t forget about Curt Bisquera!
No one knows the She's The One soundtrack. And yet they all should. Some amazing songs on that one. And Curt's playing is fantastic.