RANT...Sweetwater is a pretty good online company, BUT their reviews are SO FAKE/CHEEZY!!

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, maybe I am just a grumpy old man, BUT...

I purchase regularly from SW, and they do have good customer service, BUT I have noticed so many SW reviews that devolve into praising the company and /or praising a specific rep at the end of the review.

It feels really fake and made up. In just 5 minutes, I found and copy-pasted ALL these cheeze..ball comments tacked onto the ends of reviews... all came from the same product, TC Electronics distortion pedal.

I mean, I like SW OK, but this really diminishes them in my view.

Wadda you think? Have you ever left a SW review and mentioned the name of THAT MOST WONDERFUL SWEETWATER REP?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Sweetwater Engineer, Nick Huskins, says it's a can't miss pedal and he was right. Enjoy!

Very pleased with the pedal & of course no complaints with Sweetwater. It was on my porch in two days!!!

Thanks to Sam Hillman my sales guy at Sweetwater for helping me out with this and keeping me posted when this thing came back in stock

Sweetwaters service is great as always.

Sweetwater service and efficiency is second to none.

As usual great doing business with Sweetwater & my personal sales engineer Aaron.

And Sweetwater, as always, provides incredible service and free shipping. You cannot go wrong. Highly recommended!!

Thank you Sweetwater and a big THANK YOU for all the suggestions and help to my "Top notch" Sales Engineer Casey Gerlach!!

MUCH thanks to Aaron Reginold for helping me out. This guy has improved my life more than a psychiatrist! Once again, THANK YOU AARON REGINOLD!

At the amazing price, free shipping great customer service, The words to describe doing business with Sweetwater Music transparent transactions per usual at Sweetwater Music.

Once again my transaction with SWEETWATER MUSIC.flowed smoothly as usual, this team does a great job. If your going to do business with on the web, this is the team to bet on.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm also an old guy who is occasionally grumpy but I don't find mentioning a specific sales engineer to be a cheese-ball tactic at all. My Sweetwater sales engineer has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful when purchasing guitar gear for my son, since I don't have much experience in that area. I wouldn't hesitate to mention him by name in a review, especially in an era where customer service is severely lacking for some retailers. I think good service should be recognized.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they fall more into the “DEMONSTRATION” camp vice the “Review” camp.
They speak on the positives and every so often mention a workaround on what could be perceived as a negative ... stock heads or whatnot.
I watch them as a demo … that keeps it all into perspective for me.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
I stay away from their main site and just buy the stuff that goes on the Ebay 'Sweetwater Sound' sellers page. It always has 'Best Offer' settings and surprisingly great gear. I got pretty annoyed at my personal helper, he tried to upsell, add warranty and redirect me from everything I told him I was interested in.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not the point... I agree that good service should be recognized. BUT there are just SO MANY of these glowing comments over and over in the reviews for just one product, that I feel they are being faked by Sweetwater.
or it could be that Sweetwater's service is just really, really good.

count me (strongly) in that camp.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
It would be corny if their approach didn't work but it does. I ordered a couple tom arms from them yesterday and they came today w/ candy. Alden is my sales engineer.

TomC727

Reaction score
I find Sweetwater to be extremely helpful. Extremely fast shipping and my sales guy is extremely helpful, Mike

I‘m even waiting on an estimate from them for a set of Enduro Pro cases for my future DW set. Going to compare the estimate to Forks Drum Closet in Nashville. Just waiting on the reply emails.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, maybe I am just a grumpy old man, BUT...

I purchase regularly from SW, and they do have good customer service, BUT I have noticed so many SW reviews that devolve into praising the company and /or praising a specific rep at the end of the review.

It feels really fake and made up. In just 5 minutes, I found and copy-pasted ALL these cheeze..ball comments tacked onto the ends of reviews... all came from the same product, TC Electronics distortion pedal.

I mean, I like SW OK, but this really diminishes them in my view.

Wadda you think? Have you ever left a SW review and mentioned the name of THAT MOST WONDERFUL SWEETWATER REP?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Sweetwater Engineer, Nick Huskins, says it's a can't miss pedal and he was right. Enjoy!

Very pleased with the pedal & of course no complaints with Sweetwater. It was on my porch in two days!!!

Thanks to Sam Hillman my sales guy at Sweetwater for helping me out with this and keeping me posted when this thing came back in stock

Sweetwaters service is great as always.

Sweetwater service and efficiency is second to none.

As usual great doing business with Sweetwater & my personal sales engineer Aaron.

And Sweetwater, as always, provides incredible service and free shipping. You cannot go wrong. Highly recommended!!

Thank you Sweetwater and a big THANK YOU for all the suggestions and help to my "Top notch" Sales Engineer Casey Gerlach!!

MUCH thanks to Aaron Reginold for helping me out. This guy has improved my life more than a psychiatrist! Once again, THANK YOU AARON REGINOLD!

At the amazing price, free shipping great customer service, The words to describe doing business with Sweetwater Music transparent transactions per usual at Sweetwater Music.

Once again my transaction with SWEETWATER MUSIC.flowed smoothly as usual, this team does a great job. If your going to do business with on the web, this is the team to bet on.
Crap. Guess I’ll have to tame it down a bit, sorry. A gig’s a gig, know what I mean?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Sales engineer"

......really?

They actually have a school in-house that educates and really pushes the employees.
They have something like a 70-80% fail rate … which means they fail out and are not hired.
It takes a lot to make it to that moniker.
Every potential sales person is trained in pretty much all aspects of the gear sold.
And they have representatives from the major brands on-site in offices to help train and answer questions that stump the others.
Some potentials arrive as studio drummers with zero experience with keyboards, guitars, recording gear, etc.
They go through about a year to a year and a half of schooling if I remember correctly. That fills in the holes in their knowledge base.
They also have a gear locker that is MASSIVE where each person can check out the gear and take it home to use it and learn it.
So ... Sales Engineer is a pretty accurate name.
It is mind blowing just how deeply trained they are.
It really is an amazing program they have put together.

TomC727

Reaction score
They actually have a school in-house that educates and really pushes the employees.
They have something like a 70-80% fail rate … which means they fail out and are not hired.
It takes a lot to make it to that moniker.
Every potential sales person is trained in pretty much all aspects of the gear sold.
And they have representatives from the major brands on-site in offices to help train and answer questions that stump the others.
Some potentials arrive as studio drummers with zero experience with keyboards, guitars, recording gear, etc.
They go through about a year to a year and a half of schooling if I remember correctly. That fills in the holes in their knowledge base.
They also have a gear locker that is MASSIVE where each person can check out the gear and take it home to use it and learn it.
So ... Sales Engineer is a pretty accurate name.
It is mind blowing just how deeply trained they are.
It really is an amazing program they have put together.
If I end up buying the cases from them, I already told my salesman I’d come pick up the order just to get a tour of their facility. It is supposed to be epic.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I end up buying the cases from them, I already told my salesman I’d come pick up the order just to get a tour of their facility. It is supposed to be epic.

It is considerably “more” than I expected.
A genuinely massive facility.
I believe they have 2000 employees located there.
Just a ridiculous place.

5stroke

Reaction score
I find SW to be fast, fair priced and friendly. However, in the few email communications I've had with my "sales engineer" he came across as somewhat curt and unhelpful (re ship times). I also fell sucker at first for the "personal"emails the company sends from "him", which try to sell you more relevant stuff-- attempting to nicely reply back and of course I received no further response- which educated me real Fast that he had no part of these emails and was likely to still be rather aloof should I bother to ever personally communicate with him again. So, should I ever care to buy any pricey items, I'd probably request another rep...
About sending candy--they send it for each purchase, the same paltry 5 pieces--a stale mini tootsie roll, a bit o' honey, a peppermint and a rootbeer hard candy, and a "sweetart" type candy that dissolves like a pepto bismol chewable. Hey, I'm not complaining, I gobble it all down in minutes each time. It's the thought that counts, right? :3some: I intend to buy from SW for most small purchases going forward as their shipping is always free and somewhat prompt. It could have been Guitar Center for me since one's so close by, but they lost me 9 months ago as a loyal customer due to their arrogrant, self-entitled drumstaff which has a 'tude and comes across as if they're musician gods doing you a favor in merely facilitating a purchase that they had nothing to do with earning in the first place. Absolutely awful vibes at GC-- they can have their clueless customers, naive mothers, spoiled kids who will buy whatever they're told with no further thought than grab and go.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I do see stuff like this:
Rated 4/5

Good for the money​

Face it, Alto is not a high end speaker so anyone who buys this brand SHOULD NOT have high expectations. They work as they should. You CANNOT push Alto speakers hard or they will blow very easily. This subs provides just a touch of bass needed for mobile events that don't require you kill people with bass.

That doesn't seem fake at all. The sweet tarts are shrinking though. I guess they're going down the tubes . First warning sign!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, my LDS gets my business first. If he can’t get the item immediately and I need it yesterday, SW will get my biz. I’ve never been let down. I’ve even returned two guitars with no questions asked, just kind, quick responses.

That’s enough for me.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I left them a very Sweet review
even though the quantity of candy has been cut back to only a few pieces . Back in the day it was a samich bag full.
I really like the service , prompt, personal and friendly.

Furious Styles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good grief, who even reads reviews from mass retailers? It's like reading the "comments" section on pretty much anything online.

That's on you.