RARE! 10-lug 6.5 "Black-rolite" w/INDe throw!

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Nah, just an old 70's 402 shell. The pointy badge was all bent/broken and half the chrome had flaked off. I had the rest of the chrome sand-blasted off a while back. I had thought to perhaps polish the resulting bare aluminum but it wasn't very pretty, so it sat for a few years. Then I decided to to give it a whimsical red/yellow spay-paint job. I was never happy with the look. It was more stupid than whimsical, but I played it that way for a year or so.

So I finally took it all apart -- again! -- sanded it down and sprayed it black. Then inspiration hit. Early I swapped out a genuine acrolite with Imperial lugs just for fun (I might be able to dig up the picture I posted here). That left me with the bow-tie lugs (and I had a couple extra kicking around) to put on the old 402.

While it was down, I decided to try out an INDe Throw/butt. I've been a vintage Ludwig guy for some time and have never had a problem with P83's or P85's but I though, "now's a good time to try something different." The old Ludwig throws work fine but do tend to back off through the night. No big deal, just turn the knob now and again.

So far, the INDe is Fantastic, but I don't have many hours in on it yet. Ask again after a few dozen gigs (whenever that will happen -- 2022?) I have also been using the INDe tension-casing/mount replacement things for about a year now and they are fantastic as well. VERY well designed.
IMG_6617.jpg
IMG_6709.jpg
IMG_6708.jpg

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nah, just an old 70's 402 shell. The pointy badge was all bent/broken and half the chrome had flaked off. I had the rest of the chrome sand-blasted off a while back. I had thought to perhaps polish the resulting bare aluminum but it wasn't very pretty, so it sat for a few years. Then I decided to to give it a whimsical red/yellow spay-paint job. I was never happy with the look. It was more stupid than whimsical, but I played it that way for a year or so.

So I finally took it all apart -- again! -- sanded it down and sprayed it black. Then inspiration hit. Early I swapped out a genuine acrolite with Imperial lugs just for fun (I might be able to dig up the picture I posted here). That left me with the bow-tie lugs (and I had a couple extra kicking around) to put on the old 402.

While it was down, I decided to try out an INDe Throw/butt. I've been a vintage Ludwig guy for some time and have never had a problem with P83's or P85's but I though, "now's a good time to try something different." The old Ludwig throws work fine but do tend to back off through the night. No big deal, just turn the knob now and again.

So far, the INDe is Fantastic, but I don't have many hours in on it yet. Ask again after a few dozen gigs (whenever that will happen -- 2022?) I have also been using the INDe tension-casing/mount replacement things for about a year now and they are also fantastic. VERY well designed.
View attachment 445217 View attachment 445218 View attachment 445219
Great job!
Love my 6.5 Blackro!

Latest posts