Rare "Ludwig" snare drum on eBay

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw this on eBay. it is wrong is so many ways.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283119106356?ul_noapp=true

Ludwig 14" x 3" RARE COS Piccolo Snare Drum w/ 12 Lug Design Excellent!

Ludwig 14" x 3" Chrome over Steel Shell Piccolo Snare Drum. This snare sounds great! It is very crisp due to it's Ludwig Cast Rims. The most amazing feature on this snare is the 12 Lug design, allowing this drum to have an incredible tuning range from low to ultra high, with a higher tuning range capable from most other snare drums. This is the first 12 Lug metal snare that I have seen myself personally. It has a very smooth feel when twisting the tension rods while tuning. This drum performs very well, clear and articulate sound with very sensitive attack, only the slightest touch can be easily heard. It is also capable of loud volume like a marching snare drum which makes this drum extremely versatile for many genre's of music such as Jazz, Blues, / Punk, Metal, Rock -you name it, this drum delivers! This drum has fast response with diminished overtones because of it's extremely shallow depth of 3" -not a lot of ring after the initial note, great fast playing drum! This snare drum has two vents and two Ludwig Monroe Badges 180* a part. The exact origin of the drum is unknown, I purchased it years ago from an estate sale listing. The drum shows no signs of abuse. I don't see many scratches around the drum on inspection. It looks and plays very well!
Includes; 12 Lug Design
Ludwig Cast Rims
Grover Strainer
Baseball Bat Muffler
Pure Sound snare wires
Soft gig bag carrier

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ludwig cast hoops though. As used on the 12 lug Colesium and some high tension marching drums.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
TheElectricCompany said:
Contacted the seller just to see what they'd say. Told them it's an entry-level drum and to search Reverb for a reasonable price. For example... https://reverb.com/item/5741122-sunlite-sp-197bsn-14x3-1-2-brass-snare-drum (although that's still crazy high for as low quality a drum as a Sunlite is...)
I think your assumption that it's low quality based on the badge is questionable. I would bet dollars to donuts that this was made by a third party such as Worldmax and just branded with the Sunlight name. Most people only have experience with the lowest end of the spectrum with companies like Sunlight because that's their bread and butter, typically in the mom and pop stores that are marketing to the beginner students and want to offer the cheapest kit available. I actually owned one of their top of the line kits back in the late 1990s. Lacquer finish over likely basswood or poplar shells. Certainly not on par with a typical Top of the Line kit or even most mid range kits available today, but they looked and sounded good and only set me back about $400. This fake badged drum in question looks pretty decent in a generic sort of way. The fake badges only lower the value IMO though.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having those TCDC hoops... which is where I think the real value is.
Too bad it's not reasonably priced???

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is a bronze/brass looking version on GC (Des Moines) for $65. Enjoy!

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Contacted the seller just to see what they'd say. Told them it's an entry-level drum and to search Reverb for a reasonable price. For example... https://reverb.com/item/5741122-sunlite-sp-197bsn-14x3-1-2-brass-snare-drum (although that's still crazy high for as low quality a drum as a Sunlite is...)
I think your assumption that it's low quality based on the badge is questionable. I would bet dollars to donuts that this was made by a third party such as Worldmax and just branded with the Sunlight name. Most people only have experience with the lowest end of the spectrum with companies like Sunlight because that's their bread and butter, typically in the mom and pop stores that are marketing to the beginner students and want to offer the cheapest kit available. I actually owned one of their top of the line kits back in the late 1990s. Lacquer finish over likely basswood or poplar shells. Certainly not on par with a typical Top of the Line kit or even most mid range kits available today, but they looked and sounded good and only set me back about $400. This fake badged drum in question looks pretty decent in a generic sort of way. The fake badges only lower the value IMO though.
I had no idea Sunlite made anything but entry-level drums. The few anecdotes I've seen about this snare (or similar?) all put them in the sub-$100 price range new. I wonder if the 12 lugs was a way of inflating the price as a bit of a "special" feature.