Rare production snare drums

notINtheband

Reaction score
Curious what some of the rarest production snare drums are floating around out there. I have a couple of drums from production runs of 300 but i don’t think those are terribly uncommon. What are some of your favorite super low production # snares? Like Tama Bell Brass 1980, Artists Signature limited runs, etc. thanks

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I would want you to qualify your statement with what it means to be in production. I always drool when Mike @curotto posts his snare drums that only one or a few are known to exist. Those are often from near 100 years ago, so I’m not sure if you would say they were “production” models in the same way since a lot more was done by hand.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the production numbers were, but these were definitely in production, and based on the tiny number of examples I've ever seen (even internet-wide) I imagine the numbers were low.

Attachments

notINtheband

Reaction score
I guess I would want you to qualify your statement with what it means to be in production. I always drool when Mike @curotto posts his snare drums that only one or a few are known to exist. Those are often from near 100 years ago, so I’m not sure if you would say they were “production” models in the same way since a lot more was done by hand.
Fair question. I guess I’m talking about major manufacturers rather than more boutique or strictly custom builders.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

unusual import..with rings..

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the 2014 Namm show Gretsch/Fender did a Relic edition

there were 27 of them. many with reinforcement rings

Last edited:

mpthomson

Reaction score
Sonor Signature Jet Set, they were only ever going to make 25, they finally ended up making less than the fingers of one hand. There are more snares than kits, including cast bronze drums (HLD 590/ 592/3) plus HLD 580s in the black walnut finish with 24k gold plate hardware out there, though most of these appear to be in one German collection.

My Scandi birch Lite snare drum with the parallel mech has the 24k snare guard rails from a Jet Set snare on it, as I bought a drum out of that collection (standard hardware bubinga 580) that had them on it when it arrived with me.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sonor Signature Jet Set, they were only ever going to make 25, they finally ended up making less than the fingers of one hand. There are more snares than kits, including cast bronze drums (HLD 590/ 592/3) plus HLD 580s in the black walnut finish with 24k gold plate hardware out there, though most of these appear to be in one German collection.

My Scandi birch Lite snare drum with the parallel mech has the 24k snare guard rails from a Jet Set snare on it, as I bought a drum out of that collection (standard hardware bubinga 580) that had them on it when it arrived with me.
The Sonor limited production snares are almost to long to list. The store runs like the 5 Star, DCP bronzes models and the Ikebe are just one example of many along with the great info above.

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score
Wasn't there a Sunluck snare drum that they only made 14,369 of in 1989 that are a rare beast to find??

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bun E. Carlos Signature snare, 100 made. I have #26 ( I think...I mean I know I have it but I'm not 100% on the number).