Rare vistalites

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picture shows a 5x14 snare and a down beat 13" model and a canister throne too ... In a color pattern I've never seen before and in very very good condition apparently - I'm no expert on Vistalites but is there any chance these are an RCI build with correct Ludwig badges and hardware ?

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Probably RCI but who cares? I don’t believe that there would be any sound differences and they’re super unique. I say go for it.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What is RCI?
I didn't know so I googled it:

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picture shows a 5x14 snare and a down beat 13" model and a canister throne too ... In a color pattern I've never seen before and in very very good condition apparently - I'm no expert on Vistalites but is there any chance these are an RCI build with correct Ludwig badges and hardware ?
Except the bd spurs.....they aren't the curved ones of that era.
bt

Fayray

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Except the bd spurs.....they aren't the curved ones of that era.
bt
It's actually a jazzette configuration so it's an 18" bass which came with straight spurs, even in the B&O era as far as I'm aware.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The original Vistalite shells were made by RCI/Starlight. They also made the reproduction shells when Ludwig reintroduced Vistalites several years back. There’s a question as to whether the new Vistalites (like if you bought one today) are made by RCI or farmed out to a certain Asian nation but that’s a topic for another day.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Flat-
There was a fellow that was making bogus vista's for years before being 'outed. All kinds of super rare patterns and configuration were suddenly on the market, like new.
Come to find out somebody was putting vintage badges and hardware on new RCI shells.
Simply Shady, to me.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
and rail consolette is center mounted, which would have had to be a special order from Ludwig unless someone moved the mount - but drilling wood is one thing, drilling acrylic......

Fayray

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
and rail consolette is center mounted, which would have had to be a special order from Ludwig unless someone moved the mount - but drilling wood is one thing, drilling acrylic......
it's actually a Jazzette with 18" BD. I'm no Jazzette expert but I'm pretty sure the rail is in the right location?

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can't play them off a site which is the downfall.

For the right price (not vintage maybe if RCI, or maybe so) but not Vista's regardless, I'd totally jump on that if they sounded good.

Shame you can't sample them. They look great.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
you rarely see bd mounted cymbals on vistakits...for a reason as I understand it....

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's actually a Jazzette with 18" BD. I'm no Jazzette expert but I'm pretty sure the rail is in the right location?
sorry missed the Jazzette part, in which case, as I recall correct - the rail was mounted center. Good catch.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
I don't think anyone could tell apart an RCI shell from a vintage Vista or any other acrylic shell really, in terms of sound. Vistas sound like acrylic drums and don't really have anything special to their sauce IMO. They're great drums and I love acrylics (I've owned a vintage Vistalite) but there's nothing different about them vs an RCI.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool video.

That is cool to watch. If you pay attention you notice that those shells aren't being made in the Ludwig Factory. They show them boxing the finished shells up to ship to Monroe although they don't state that specifically. Looks like it jumps from wherever (RCI?) to Monroe right around the 2 minute mark.