Rarity of Rogers 20x12 Bass Drum?

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, wanted to see what you all knew about Rogers 20x12's. I couldnmt find much on the internet. I picked a loner Blue Sparkle Holiday with most of it's B&B lugs still on. Is this a rare drum? I have a Ludwig 20x12 Trans Badge that I truly enjoy. Thanks!

Attachments

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool drum and the blue sparkle looks very nice. I have seen other 12x20 Rogers bass drums, but they arent that common. Possible a special order? Perhaps there are some 12x20 owners who will chime in.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are quite uncommon, as far as I can tell. I have a 20x12 in BDP with beavertail lugs, Cleveland era.

rentadrummer

Reaction score
I have a 12" x 20" from 1964. I've read that they were referred to as Taxi Cab bass drums, and were first used by jobbing drummers in New York because they would fit more easily into the trunk of a cab. Very punchy, and I've never noticed any reduced volume when compared to one 14" deep.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
12x20, 12x22 were standard sizes in the Rogers catalogs in the early 60's, as mentioned above. Easy to order, but only a few buyers did so. I am pleasantly surprised by how many there are in this thread.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
What's all this company "B" copied from company "A" nonsense? They are drums, people! Dimensions of drums from most companies in the 1960's finally started to standardize. A decade earlier, some manufacturers still had 23.5" or 21" diameter bass drums with various depths. As fewer drum manufacturers continued to make drum heads, and as man-made material heads began to dominate, the drum diameters for all major U.S. drum makers became standardized. The drum depths didn't vary too much from 14" and 12". Then, we know what happened with the jumbo bass drums beginning in the late 1960's, and hopefully, phasing out now.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I sold my 1962 12x22 for less than 300.
B$B lugs half were good and uncracked
Rare and scarce doesnt nessesarily sell for a lot of money lol

Latest posts