header.nohb.html

Rattle can for Cadillac Green?

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
p-39.jpg
Too funny JDA! Actually, I don't think I'd mind a kit in that color with AF insignias. Could be a conversation piece

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see that Bum Wrap has a wrap called "Birdland Green". Does this come close? (top left)

I came here to suggest this too! Bum Wrap with this color or a custom color is cheaper than rattle cans and your labor if you want it to not look like crap.

jpvellotti

Reaction score
I see that Bum Wrap has a wrap called "Birdland Green". Does this come close? (top left)

To add my .02/, I have a circa-2018 12/14/20 Satin Caddy Green and it's pretty close to that Bum Wrap. It really changes based on the light...unless there's area lighting on it, it can also look close to satin black. It's an interesting color, but certainly not the same as the Birdland kits which I've seen one at Maxwell's and that green is much....greener?

This kit's satin finish certainly is fragile, so the wrap might be the way to go.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two interesting links

i was just reading through the gretsch book by rob cook. the finish was available between the early 50s and 1959. it was a lacquer applied over a clear plastic covering.

So, track down the correct early 50s Cadillac color code and have the paint mixed up....spray it onto this clear wrap. Wrap some shells, score some gold plated Gretsch hardware, and you've cloned a Cadillac green set.

Last edited:

Monday317

Reaction score
I'm working on rescuing some Gretsch SS badged orphans, and the cost of wrap, when all is said and done, may be prohibitive.
I was wondering if there are any spray cans out there (Krylon, Rustoleum etc) that could pass for Gretsch's Cadillac Green. I don't need to match anything, just want to go for the effect :)
I've never seen the finish in person, so I'm kind of clueless.

Thanks in advance
I would recommend sanding the shells nice and smooth using a water based sanding sealer. Then head to a nearby auto parts store or Amazon and get Duplicolor primer, undercoat, color coat and over coat as needed. They will have a terrific color for you.

Alternatively go to Instawraps.com and see if they have a vinyl wrap you like. These are surprisingly good quality and inexpensive: I used a wood finish I liked that passes the 1-yard test for appearance and a 4’ x 8’ piece was just under $50.00 USD. Self adhesive and not impossible to remove but will show surface flaws, so again you need to prep the shells with care.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know at my work we used to be able to get custom rattle cans made up by the local car paint store. Any color in the books. There was a minimum number of cans you had to buy and it wasn't cheap, but it was possible.

These guys will sell you a can at a time. I've painted a friends guitar using this very green:

jpvellotti

Reaction score
52D618A6-C89C-43A9-9278-FCACA99D1E68.png

Just to put this into context, here’s a pic of the satin (flat) green. I’ve seen the same finish in gloss and it’s an overall brighter green.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ReRanch is good stuff and there are LOTS of resource material there. Kils primer will be a required purchase, as you want those shells SMMMMOOOOOOTHHH.

ReRanch has the guitar version of Cadillac Green. The guitar color is NOT the same as the two or so versions of the color used on their drums. You will be disappointed using it on drums, I was..However, it is a perfect match to the guitar color. Rustoleum Forest Green can be very close, but just isn't the same either. Humans sense more hues of green than any other color. There is a fine line between beautiful and ugly when using any green, and aged gold plated parts are a must. Birdland Cadillac Greens are beautiful.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
ReRanch has the guitar version of Cadillac Green. The guitar color is NOT the same as the two or so versions of the color used on their drums. You will be disappointed using it on drums, I was..However, it is a perfect match to the guitar color. Rustoleum Forest Green can be very close, but just isn't the same either. Humans sense more hues of green than any other color. There is a fine line between beautiful and ugly when using any green, and aged gold plated parts are a must. Birdland Cadillac Greens are beautiful.

It’s the quality of their stuff that I endorse moreover than the actual color, as well as the wealth of knowledge that they possess. I would still recommend to pour over their knowledge, no matter what color or brand you use.

DBT

Reaction score
I'm working on rescuing some Gretsch SS badged orphans, and the cost of wrap, when all is said and done, may be prohibitive.
I was wondering if there are any spray cans out there (Krylon, Rustoleum etc) that could pass for Gretsch's Cadillac Green. I don't need to match anything, just want to go for the effect :)
I've never seen the finish in person, so I'm kind of clueless.

Thanks in advance
The closest you are going to get is Rustoleum Forest Green in Flat and then you’ll need to hit it with a clear . I just tested out all the greens a couple of months ago on a project I was doing . You’re not going to get the results your hoping for as far as a match or close .

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's odd because the more recent Gretsch drums that were said to be Cadillac green don't look like the same green as the original drums to me. So if Gretsch can't even get it right how can we mere mortals expect to?

To me it looks like Gretsch used a 1952 color on the original drums

Cadillac_Fleetwood_60Special_1952.jpg
GretschCadillacGreenA037.jpg

and a 1953 green on their re-issues

57a3225d53b32.jpg

GCG.jpg

Then again it could just be my eyes/monitor playing tricks on me...but I have seen both the originals and the re-issues in person and to my eye they aren't the exact same green.

DBT

Reaction score
It's odd because the more recent Gretsch drums that were said to be Cadillac green don't look like the same green as the original drums to me. So if Gretsch can't even get it right how can we mere mortals expect to?

To me it looks like Gretsch used a 1952 color on the original drums

View attachment 567679 View attachment 567680

and a 1953 green on their re-issues

View attachment 567681

View attachment 567682

Then again it could just be my eyes/monitor playing tricks on me...but I have seen both the originals and the re-issues in person and to my eye they aren't the exact same green.
It’s not your eyes KO . The originals had a lighter glossier look . Green is very hard to match up from my recent experience . Here is the table and chairs I did awhile back . It’s the pure color , meaning I sand Blasted it down to bare metal then two coats of different primers before spraying the Forest Green . The forest green is the darkest out of all the greens Rustoleum sells . Keep in mind that it’s Gloss . I’m not sure if they sell the Forest in Flat , if they do you’ll want to go back and hit them with a clear Satin .

Attachments

• 74CD3106-D0CB-4C70-9C4F-09F888793FF3.jpeg
    74CD3106-D0CB-4C70-9C4F-09F888793FF3.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

fibes3

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a photo of a refurbished Ludwig piccolo 3 x 13.
I painted it with Rustoleum Hunter Green gloss.

Sorry I don't have any more photos and I have since sold the snare.

Attachments

• 20180903_182244.jpg
    20180903_182244.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 18

DBT

Reaction score
Here's a photo of a refurbished Ludwig piccolo 3 x 13.
I painted it with Rustoleum Hunter Green gloss.

Sorry I don't have any more photos and I have since sold the snare.
Absolutely . It looks like Hunter Green would be the closest . Nice .

DBT

Reaction score
I think all the Manufacturer's shades of paints / stains varied from generation to generation . After all these months of my Free Round Badges sitting stacked and ready to go I finally decided not to wrap them and get off my lazy Duff and give them what they deserve . I’m going through this same thing now . I’m testing 5 different Walnut color stains from Mohawk . The variations from the 60’s , 70’s , 80’s are all different shades of Walnut . It seems to be the case with everything when trying to match .