Raw canvas to take Round Badges in another direction?

Which is the way?

• Stay with Black Nitron

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Jellybean (rewrap the other shells in ? colors)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Glass

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Pink Glass

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Match the new shell

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I just received a raw Gretsch Jasper shell that I was planning on using to replace the cracked 13 in my main gigging kit. I thought I had the crack repaired after making a mold and using heat/moisture/pressure/glue to set it in round, but it came back after some playing and a head change.

Now that I've received the new shell, I'm completely in love with the slightly transparent milky white lacquer it's finished in, which sent me spiraling into new directions. I think a jellybean/mismatch could be pretty cool.

The questions I have before me are:

- Do I re-wrap the kit so that all are matching, and if so, what? The wrap is not original and the black is pretty unforgiving as far as wear and tear goes. It also started melting in the sun when accidentally left uncovered at an outdoor venue. Pic below is fresh after the re-wrap. My favorite options are listed in the poll, but I'm open.

- Leave the new tom as is and mismatch wrap the other two? If so, what?

- Try to match the new shell lacquer for the 16 and 22? The 22 has a few fiberglass-filled holes on top and at the spurs. The shells were also poorly refinished at some point and the wood has been stained, so I'm not sure if it's even an option to get back to bare maple.

A79E5D82-53D8-44CB-8DFA-D664DB90CFA5.jpeg
9E4EA01A-4613-4EBD-9044-6BCD62227CC7.jpeg

D100BCC0-91C4-4376-89EA-B4F7B75C8B71.jpeg
0301E829-4E62-4635-8088-1849567F4B00.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
black and white almost go together as is; the heads are white the drums are black; the new tom matches the heads.... (lol i dunno.
O you want to take the black tom away..nvrmd

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
black and white almost go together as is; the heads are white the drums are black; the new tom matches the heads.... (lol i dunno.
O you want to take the black tom away..nvrmd

You make a good point. Wouldn't be bad at all.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I thought you wanted to add and make a 5 Pc.
(you know ; ) for "hard rock" ( <- new joke going around..

Naw, the crack is vertical from top to bottom and almost through to the wrap. Still makes a good noise with some muffling, but it bothers my soul and tuning is arduous.

Reactions: JDA

rwm5

Reaction score
Leave as is. Maybe try and match the 16” to the 13”. No one ever really sees the bass drum.

Just finish that thermogloss set already!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Leave as is. Maybe try and match the 16” to the 13”. No one ever really sees the bass drum.

Just finish that thermogloss set already!

Lacquer coats are finished and curing! Waiting at least few more days before I wet sand and polish. The end is near! I've got a few projects cooking in between recording and tour:

- Rhodes Stage 88 to re-tolex and replace hammer tips
- P Bass fretless conversion
- This kit and the Jazzette

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I voted for pink glass, I think that could look elegant if it’s a rose pink shade. I would not vote for hot pink, however. Green sparkle/glitter is one of my favorite finishes, but I think this set would be great in something close to champagne.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I voted for pink glass, I think that could look elegant if it’s a rose pink shade. I would not vote for hot pink, however. Green sparkle/glitter is one of my favorite finishes, but I think this set would be great in something close to champagne.

I've had a beautiful 20/12/14/16 Rogers Holiday in Champagne Sparkle in the past. It was gorgeous, but I was afraid to play it out and I can hardly fit two kits in my studio space. I'm ready for a little more of a statement; champagne is so classy and understated. It's hard to choose between pink and green!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
They translucent white is ethereal. I’d like a whole boo kit in that finish.

So all new shells just like that.

Ugh, I know. I think this one was from that big Gretsch estate sale a while back. It would be excellent if someone had some matching shells out there. There's no edges cut, even.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck stripping the black wrap and then finishing to match the clear drum, which looks killer BTW! I vote for strip and stain.....

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Go Pink. It is one of the few non original finishes that doesn't scream out re-wrap.