header.nohb.html

RB Gretsch Rewrap

Which wrap for a round badge progressive jazz outfit?

• Merlot sparkle

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Antique white Pearl

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poetman

Reaction score
I am debating recovering my Merlot sparkle round badge kit in Antique white Pearl. I’m interested in others’ thoughts on these wrap options. Here are rb kits with these wraps. The merlot image was sourced from an old thread here, and the AWP is from Precision drums.

Attachments

• 3D7FB454-9A58-4E1A-AA46-0A8111DDAD4E.png
    3D7FB454-9A58-4E1A-AA46-0A8111DDAD4E.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 105

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a tough one for me as antique white pearl or any WMP is my favorite wrap on a drum, but on a Gretsch kit, I gotta say that Merlot sparkle edges it out just a little for my taste. That is such a "Gretsch" finish.

So whats the story? If the kit is already Merlot are you just looking for a refresh?

EssKayKay

Reaction score
I don't know if you are looking for votes but mine would be WMP.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I read your question right the drums are Merlot now and you are thinking of redoing them? Merlot wouldn't be original wrap on round badge drums (burgundy sparkle would be and if they are burgundy you should leave them as is).

So, assuming it's a rewrap of a rewrap then you don't have much to lose other than the cost of the new wrap and your time and effort (or the cost of someone else's effort if you don't do it yourself).

Personally, between the two, I'd think that merlot, being the modern version of Burgundy sparkle, would be preferable and easier to sell if and when the time comes. Plus, unless the merlot is in bad shape, rewrapped RB drums will be worth about the same amount regardless of which color they are so you'll eat the cost of the new rewrap.

But they are your drums, so whatever makes you happiest is what you should do.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am debating recovering my Merlot sparkle round badge kit in Antique white Pearl. I’m interested in others’ thoughts on these wrap options. Here are rb kits with these wraps. The merlot image was sourced from an old thread here, and the AWP is from Precision drums.
Poetman... it sounds like you're considering doing a re-wrap of your current kit, which is already wrapped in Merlot Sparkle, correct? If that is the case, just leave them as they are!

-Mark

poetman

Reaction score
Yes, they are in Merlot already, but I have always loved that faded/yellowed WMP look--and can't seem to scratch that itch. I know WMP are ubiquitous--but for good reason. It's not like this merlot is ugly at all--they're really pretty...curious what others think.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always loved that faded/yellowed WMP look--and can't seem to scratch that itch.
Since they aren't original anyway, do what you really want! They're your drums after all. :)

Last edited:

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are in Merlot already, but I have always loved that faded/yellowed WMP look--and can't seem to scratch that itch. I know WMP are ubiquitous--but for good reason. It's not like this merlot is ugly at all--they're really pretty...curious what others think.

Merlot is cool. It really is.

But if you can do a unique take on aged WMP, it’s just cooler. This is why I say to age it yourself. You’re not trying to fool anyone with aging the wrap, but you’re going the extra mile for better detail and to make this a bit more unique than the ubiquitous WMP or even aged WMP. This makes it one of a kind.

Thebstar

Reaction score
I didn’t see if these are original Merlot Sparkle. If so, no way I’d touch them. If you’re not happy with them, sell and buy orphans you can do what you want. If it’s not the original wrap, the s it’s a personal call.
Side note: Gary at Precision Drum can order WMP “aged” in whatever level of yellow/orange/green tint your want the top layer. I did the Expresso burst for fun.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to re-iterate, Merlot is a modern color but is similar to the old Burgundy sparkle which is a very desireable wrap. If these are Merlot then they must have been rewrapped at some point. If they are original burgundy and you just are saying "merlot" because that is the modern equivalent then you should not strip them.

I mean yeah you could but you'd be spending around $4-500 to make your drums worth 1/2 to 1/3rd ( if that) as much as they are right now if they're original Burgundy.

Obviously if you know for a fact that these were already rewrapped then disregard this. If you don't know that then find out before doing anything.

Maybe post a picture.

Last edited:

poetman

Reaction score
Just to re-iterate, Merlot is a modern color but is similar to the old Burgundy sparkle which is a very desireable wrap. If these are Merlot then they must have been rewrapped at some point. If they are original burgundy and you just are saying "merlot" because that is the modern equivalent then you should not strip them.

I mean yeah you could but you'd be spending around $4-500 to make your drums worth 1/2 to 1/3rd ( if that) as much as they are right now if they're original Burgundy.

Obviously if you know for a fact that these were already rewrapped then disregard this. If you don't know that then find out before doing anything.

Maybe post a picture.
Thanks--see the first post. Merlot on right, antique on left.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks--see the first post. Merlot on right, antique on left.
I thought you stated that those were images you got off the web. I know what Merlot looks like. My question was whether your own drums are merlot or burgundy. The two colors are quite similar but not identical. If your drums are original 60s factory burgundy sparkle you could probably easily find someone willing to trade you a WMP RB set for them. A burgundy set is probably worth 50% more than a WMP set of the same sizes and age.

Here's a 60s set in burgundy sparkle.

hqsgrruqnrpacmcfxeyn.jpg

Last edited: