RBH Westwood or Gretsch Brooklyn

Johnny K

Reaction score
Has anyone on here played both? I heard the RBH kit played on the recent Modern Drummer Podcast and was blown away. I currently have a Gretsch Catalina maple kit and wanted to step up to a 12/14/20 Brooklyn shell pack and a USA 5.5x14 COB Snare. Now Im not so sure. The price point for either is about the same. Gretsch does have the advantage of more color choices.

I found it interesting that Modern Drummer's Mike Dawson has reviewed both (the new Brooklyn Bop Kit) and spent his own money on RBH Westwoods. I do not go out of my way to play hard rock or metal. In the short life I have left, I prefer to spend it playing blues and jazz based music so either kit should suit me well.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Never played or heard of RBH. I’ve have a Brooklyn. I’d go with that.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RBH is made here in VA Beach, and Bruce Hagwood is a master woodworker who makes all his shells by hand. His drums are first-rate quality, and he's a helluva nice guy.

Back to your original question: If it were me, I'd have to decide if the purchase would be a lifelong keeper set, or a set I might want to sell down the road. If it's a keeper, I'd go with the Westwoods. If you might want to move them down the road, I'd probably opt for the Brooklyns, mainly because of the Gretsch brand name recognition. The Brooklyn's will likely have better resale value.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those look really nice and obviously the guy puts in the time to make them by hand. I bet they sound great. But you will lose your shirt if you ever want to sell them.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, RBH has been building its track record for a while, advertising in Modern Drummer for many years. They look pretty nice!